Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Valve (rocker) cover gaskets

bobtills

Re: Valve (rocker) cover gaskets

Post by bobtills »

Mixed results.

None of the major suppliers have the adjuster screw except on back order but I managed to get one and that was all sorted

Cut out my new gasket from a sheet of cork I bought and the driver's side was fine (this was the side with the out-of-true rocker cover) but the passenger side, which was perfectly true, won't seal. I cut out a second gasket and added one of the thin ones I bought and it was better but still won't seal perfectly - the cork is too stiff to close up the gap fully.

It is tight in the middle top & bottom but loose at the front & rear ends. As the cover is true the head must be out of true???? But I'm not messing with the head as the engine runs sweetly :D

I will either have to source some softer material to make a gasket out of or use some goo that will set once in situ.

Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I did make the suggestion but I think it got lost : use 3mm neoprene cord glued to the rocker cover with the join of the ends of the length at the top centre of the cover . I did this 9 years ago with mine and not a drip of oil has resulted

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

I had a gasket fabrication company in the USA laser cut the valve cover gasket from sheet silicone for $12 each and they have never leaked. I supplied an original new cork gasket as a template and they stated for volume sales they could be made for around $6. Was not enough interest in the USA at the time for 'volume' sales.

bobtills

Post by bobtills »

Thanks Christopher I did see your post but someone I spoke to said that if cork wasn't soft enough to fill the gaps neoprene wouldn't either. I emailed a firm who sell neoprene and explained my problem but so far they haven't replied.

As the engine heats up and cools down I am able to get about 1/10 of a turn on the screws so I guess the cork is compressing in the tight spots and if it continues to do so the problem will soon be solved.