Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Help with steering rack conversion

rkhmarin

Help with steering rack conversion

Post by rkhmarin »

I installed TR4 steering rack. However TR4 track rod ends will not fit in to sp250 steering arms holes. What am I doing wrong?

Ian Hastings

Re: Help with steering rack conversion

Post by Ian Hastings »

Two remedies.
1. use TR4 steering arms bolted to the vertical link (they are also longer but lower) or
2. Use Triumph Spitfire/Herald track rod ends on the rack.
Depending on what mountings you have constructed for the rack you may find it too high for the TR arms but correct for the Spitfire ones. The ideal solution is to use the TR arms and track rod ends but lower the rack to achieve the correct geometry.
Details about how to make the lower mounts are included in the Wilf Stevens articles available through this forum.

rkhmarin

Post by rkhmarin »

are you referring to following setup
WilfStephens/SP-Technical-Articles/Rack ... Barton.jpg

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

That's the one but there is a newer version which lowers the rack even further to be able to use the TR arms. I'll see if I can find it anywhere.