Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 prop shaft ?.

Suwannee

V8 prop shaft ?.

Post by Suwannee »

...hi , are the front prop shaft assemblies on the V8 interchangable with those off our MK II Jag cousins, cheers Barry.

Crossley Stephenson

Re: V8 prop shaft ?.

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I think the MKII has a one piece tails haft whereas the DV8 has a split tail shaft.

Michael

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, I have both models in manual/od form, and they are different lengths ,1 piece on man/od versions, not sure on auto jag, but 2 piece on v8 auto version. all the best Tony

Suwannee

Post by Suwannee »

...thanks for that, does anyone know the the reasoning behind the different configurations, would it be to do with the unsupported length of the V8 arrangement ? Barry.

malyn

Post by malyn »

Did you get a good answer to this Barry? I feel sure the Registrar Chris will know. I certainly had a lot of judder on take off in my 68 Auto., which proved to be misalignment of the shaft due to wear on the UJs especially midway. What a difference after replacement!

Suwannee

Post by Suwannee »

hi Rod, thanks to you and the others for your replies, I would indeed be interested to hear a more definitive answer as to why the auto V8 is a two piece if someone had more to add.
Yes, drive shafts would be at the top of the list of "taken for granted" things...I once had the carrier bearing decide it had reached the end of its life when many miles from home on Easter Good Friday when everything was shut, it made a horrible squealing noise and I was very relieved to find a very helpful," older " , mechanic working on his own car at his garage in the small country town
of Geraldine in South Canterbury NZ...and if I remember correctly, he discovered that a front wheel bearing for a Ford Anglia is the same as the one I needed.
These bearings are sealed "for life" with no provision for greasing !!

malyn

Post by malyn »

We loved the Bay of Plenty! But our visit was in a Jag. I'm afraid !

Suwannee

Post by Suwannee »

...pop in for a coffee next time you're passing !