Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 saloon rear spring replacement-warning

KV8

Re: Daimler V8 saloon rear spring replacement-warning

Post by KV8 »

Christopher Storey wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 am I would just take a grinder to the bush and grind 1.5mm off each side
Thanks had thought likewise but sorry that would not work as removing that amount off inner spindle would leave bush being clamped against mounting. The problem with the bush is that the outer is too wide with inner spindle/bolt tube protuberances as in original. Have thought I could perhaps remove bush from first "faulty" new one and replace but cannot shift it old using box spanner as a drift.

KV8

Post by KV8 »

So we still have problems fitting new spring. As said I have to await spare time of one of my son to assist due to weight of spring. Our conclusion is that the spring supplied from our major spares suppliers is twisted albeit only 1 or 2 degrees. We can insert the eyebolt as far as the other side in the suspension bracket but it is out of alignment with the other side, slightly above on one side and below if reversed. Can only speculate that "New" Spring is twisted?

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Well at last we got it to fit! Firstly removed eye bolt and inserted from other side so that one side of hole in eye bush is about 1 -2 mm higher than mounting hole. Slackened centre mounting and inserted long piece of 2x2 wood near eye end and levered eye end of spring downwards and lo and behold smart tap on eye bolt and it goes through. Tightened all bolts , replaced wheel and lowered car. Car now looks level. careful measurement still shows n/s wheel arch about 2-3 mm higher than o/s but petrol tank virtually empty so assume n/s will settle a bit when filled. :D :D