Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

thread identification sp250

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

thread identification sp250

Post by daimlersteve »

Here's one for the techo's out there --- The thread at the top of the carbs. damper chamber ----

steve

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: thread identification sp250

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Tricky one! Its near (but slightly larger) than 3/8" BSP. Burlen Ltd might be able to tell you.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Com'on men, i thought i'd get more suggestions !!
It seems to be 17x1 mm.
Strange, but then i was told today that a Morris engine in the thirties was all metric for two years before going to all brit.

A new trial tubular manifold using the std carb centerpiece and alloy flanges has yielded more power and further enhanced throttle response. quite pleased with the outcome , must be up 'round 195 hp ( 153@ the wheels with leaking gasgets now sorted)with a 300 rpm idle and pull from there up.

David S

Post by David S »

Morris was metric for more than 2 years, indeed for the whole run of 10-4 cars [1932-35] the engines have metric threads. I think others had a longer production life and WW2 finished the idea off. I think it is something to do with Morris' relationship with the French firm Hotchkiss.
It is not so easy though, as the threads have a fine pitch and are non-standard, many are M8x1 [the normal M8 pitch is 1.25], but their hexagon heads are Whitworth spanner size! In all it is a bit of a maze.
I sometimes think I'll convert all mine to allen screws!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

David S wrote:Morris was metric for more than 2 years, indeed for the whole run of 10-4 cars [1932-35] the engines have metric threads. I think others had a longer production life and WW2 finished the idea off.....
Not quite David. My 1948 MG TC engine has metric threaded bolts with Whitworth heads. This late thirties designed Hotchkiss XPAG engine was fitted to several MG, Morris and Wolseley cars (many parts are stamped with the ubiquitous 'MOWOG' - MOrris, WOlseley and MG). Rather than change all the original Metric fasteners on the engine to Whitworth, the metric thread was retained (to save redesign and tooling costs) but special Whitworth headed hybrid bolts were produced to allow owners to use their 'standard' Whitworth spanners throughout the car. These 'bastard' fasteners have caught out many unwary owners over the years and mangled threads are often encountered during a rebuild of these engines.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".