Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Steering Rack

Jez

SP250 Steering Rack

Post by Jez »

First, the good news is that the new overdrive is fitted and working, the car now has an MoT and we are ready for the summer (the arrival of which has been heralded in traditional fashion by an England batting collapse!).
However, during inspection I have observed some unwanted side to side movement in the steering rack when the steering wheel is turned. It appears that the rack is held in place by a couple of U bolts around the circumference rather than there being any bolts through the rack itself. I believe the rack may be Triumph 2000 family, but I'm not sure.

My question is whether this is a normal approach to mounting such a rack. Most racks I've seen have a bolt through type arrangement for mounting, but having seen a picture of a Triumph 2000 rack then maybe that's not the case here?
Second question is whether there is a better, more solid approach, or maybe it's just a matter of getting the right bushes and the bolts tight enough to eliminate the sideways movement.

Thoughts appreciated as always - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

Dragon

Re: SP250 Steering Rack

Post by Dragon »

Hi Jez.
If it is a Triumph rack, there will be location flanges on it. On the driver's side one is part of the pinion gearbox ali casting, and a steel flange is welded on towards the other end.
The U-bolts should not contact the rack tube directly, but should hold shaped clamp blocks which spread the pressure over the rack tube and abut positively against its location flanges.
Movement of the rack should be impossible if all is present and assembled properly.
I will send you a few photographs.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

This may help
Attachments
IMG_2892.JPG
IMG_2890 - Copy (2).JPG
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Mark's pictures show the positive lateral location of the rack very well. There are a number of rack clamp variations, some incorporating flexible elements to reduce vibration fed up through the steering column, other solid clamps providing more rigid location. All locate the rack positively while allowing it to be orientated rotationally to optimise the column run before clamping - particularly important for SP conversions, where the lower column runs very close to the exhaust manifold.
clearance.jpg
My own rack clamps differ slightly from Mark's in that the split bush is clamped with a 'U' bolt located in a groove instead of two separate bolts.
Rack.JPG
In both cases though, the rack abutment flanges at both ends are rigidly located by the clamp bushes.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

This is the replacement R&P fitted by Robert Grinter as part of the ongoing restoration of 2620 UM
Hopefully it will be ready for St Ives, otherwise I'll be entering my van in the concours!
R&P.jpg
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Mr O'plinth, are those mondeo plug extenders i see on your post?

Also , just wondering if there is any provision for the 1/4 " pre load plug to be fitted at the offside end of the rack inside the solid rack mount as is the case in the org. rubber mount?

steve

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

daimlersteve wrote:Mr O'plinth, are those mondeo plug extenders i see on your post?

steve

They're the Fastlane plug leads developed by the club and supplied by Barry Thorne.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Jez

Post by Jez »

Thanks folks. With the benefit of your input and a closer look it seems like the bushes have worn to allow the extra movement. I see Rimmers, and probably others too, offer a range of polybush and solid fixings so looks like time to invest. The nuts look a bit of a pain to get to but it looks like it may be possible to do the job without removing anything else.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys