Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Auto box - rebuild or not

Keith

V8 250 Auto box - rebuild or not

Post by Keith »

I have an extremely low mileage 1964 V8 2.5L saloon which has now covered just 13,000 miles from new.
The engine is shortly to be rebuilt by Russ Carpenter - a few oil leaks and major smoke on start up - no valve guide oil seals, also taking advantage of an unleaded conversion to unleaded.
I have no problems with the auto box, BUT should I take advantage of the opportunity for Russ to remove the box at minimal cost and get the box "rebuilt" - new oil seals etc, or am I wasting money on the auto box rebuild.
Is there a more modern box which will fit which solves the high motorway cruising revs???

Thanks

Keith

trymes

Re: V8 250 Auto box - rebuild or not

Post by trymes »

My V8 250 has a manual box, but I have owned two cars with BW T-35 transmissions: an MGC and a 3-Litre Rover P5. In my experience, the friction material in these transmissions is past its sell-by date, and it's probably a good idea to have it rebuilt. Both of my cars had been sitting, and once I started driving them regularly, problems started to appear. If you have a known-good rebuilder, I would say go for it.

Personally, I have sworn off BW T-35 transmissions at this point. I'd probably consider a freshly rebuilt one, though.

Tom
Last edited by trymes on Mon May 23, 2016 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Keith

Maybe two things to consider

Re the gearbox - you maybe sold on the auto box but conversion to a manual box will give you 25mpg as opposed to 18/20mpg and it will also cure the gearing problem with the overdrive. If keeping the autobox I would also recommend replacement of the seals etc.

Re the gearing - if keeping the auto box you might want to have a word with Robert Grinter who does a conversion on the rear axle gearing.

http://www.robertgrinter.co.uk/Robert_G ... lcome.html

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Keith

If you can afford it, now is probably the perfect time to fit a later Jaguar automatic box. Look up the website of G Whitehouse who produce a kit to do this.

Regards

Geoff