Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Tell me a bit about the V8 250

JSabah

Tell me a bit about the V8 250

Post by JSabah »

I have came across an opportunity to take on another project ... a 1968 V8 250. I know that they are similar (if not the same except for a change or 2 - grill, engine) as the Jaguar Mk2. I've always liked the Mk 2 but the Daimlers are rare birds here in the states and I was a bit surprised that the discrepancy in value is so great between the Jag and the Daimler for the same car (I think the Daimler may have had a bit less power but may have been trimmed just a bit nicer). THe asking price is $3k USD but I see the values are only $25-$30 for a nicely done car and since this will need everything (engine rebuild -it is frozen, interior , brakes, fuel, suspension, paint, dash refinish etc etc etc.). Although the car seems very complete, I can see spending more than they are worth... easily. No real question here, but would love to hear from those who have more experience than me...
Thanks,
Josh
Attachments
daimler 250 2.jpg
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

trymes

Re: Tell me a bit about the V8 250

Post by trymes »

Well, you are more or less correct here, the Daimlers don't seem to carry the same price as the Jaguars, if only because fewer people are out there typing "daimler" into Craigslist. The beauty of the car is indeed the engine, which is torquey and sounds spectacular. They also have the added benefit of less weight up front over the axle. When well sorted, they are an excellent car, even if they do not fetch as high of a price as their cousins!

What condition is the body in, and where are you located (your profile doesn't say)??

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

Body seems straight, have not had a chance to look for rust. In Los Angeles.
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

That has the bigger front bumper so it may be earlier than 1968. I assume it's RHD?

I think I recall reading that they were never sold in the US market but at $3K it would be worth bringing back to the UK. Even in these heady days of 'valuable' classics I think it's hard to restore a car and make money - really you have to do it for the love of the car.

Parts are readily available in the UK - most body parts are Jaguar Mk2 although there are interior and badge differences. Power-wise they sit between the 2.4 & 3.4 Mk2.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

There is no doubt that the V8 is a superior car to a 2.4 Jaguar and much better value than a 2.8 but a 3.8 is a superb motor and unlike the smaller engined Jaguars deserves the premium they fetch.

This one has the big bumpers (fenders) so will not be a 250 but a V8 and almost certainly pre 1968.

The restoration cost will much depend on the state of the underside and as it is a RHD car may have been originally from the UK so there may well be rust in the usual difficult to sort places, rear spring hangers and front crows feet for instance.

Pull up the carpet in the rear passenger compartment and look to see if there are signs of rusting through the floor, if so the spring hanger is rusted and that is not an easy repair to do properly.Check under the boot (trunk) carpet for rust in the floor and check under the boot for rust in the fuel tank.

Also look for rust in the front wings round the side lights and rear quarter. If it has over wheel covers at the rear take them off and check for rust at the front end.

The engine may also be a worry, depending on the severity of the frost a frozen engine is almost certain to have water jacket damage and the most likely is a crack between the outer wall of the engine block and the cylinder liner, which can be impossible or very costly to repair, you can't see it without getting the heads off and they may also have sustained damage from corrosion.

If it has a manual overdrive gearbox, (I think you call it stick shift in USA) that is a bonus and adds value here in the UK, they only made a few, the gearbox is Jaguar and bullet proof.

If you do decide to buy it ($3000 is a steal here in the condition it looks from the photo), and get it back on the road, it will reward you with a superb motor to drive which easily keeps up with modern traffic and has that great unique Daimler V8 sound.

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

When he says the engine's frozen I think he means seized. I don't think they freeze in LA much.

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

20150103_133059.jpeg
Zooming in to the front marker lights, I see bubbles on one side and corroded hole through on the other so there is rust, just a matter of how much. The window rubber is dry rotted so dash may well have got wet.
Josh, I need to make room for the SP, if you want to dabble with a 250 v8, I will sell mine for what I have in the 'new' engine.
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

JSabah

Post by JSabah »

PatrickDixon wrote:When he says the engine's frozen I think he means seized. I don't think they freeze in LA much.
You are correct in understanding my language

Dan, PM me or e mail me with some pics of the body and interior along with what you want for the car.