Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

...which brake line material ?

Suwannee

...which brake line material ?

Post by Suwannee »

Hi, I am about to renew all my brake lines and am wondering what these should be made of as someone has suggested I use copper this time around
. The steel originals show a lot of external corrosion but I believe are still in good shape on the insides.
I imagine steel would the stronger from a flex, vibration and impact resistance point of view but copper the better choice for corrosion resistance .
Your thoughts please, Barry.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: ...which brake line material ?

Post by daimlersteve »

Cu/Ni is the way to go. can be bent with fingers and flares very well.

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

Yep I use the copper nickel brake line, also called Cunifer...
It’s not as bendy as copper, but that has its advantages when you do the long straights.
when doing you pipes I would also invest in a cheap pipe bender like …
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Tube-3In ... xy3zNSkNpD
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

The small tube benders give a good result but be aware that once bent with them the tube wont like being straightened if you get it wrong. doing it with your thumbs gives you some redress. If a bend is needed near a nut do the flare first the put the nut into/onto the fitting ( m/cyl.) and a bend can be made very tightly , careful not to kink.
steve

Suwannee

Post by Suwannee »

...thanks guys, I hear what you are saying about the copper product being easier to shape...but I'm hoping someone might
"come into bat " for using steel as well.
As you can probably tell, I'm still undecided but leaning towards steel due to its strength.
I've been playing around with a scrape piece of steel tubing and was very surprised at just how malleable (?) it actually is, with very tight bends achievable by wraping it around a 1" piece of round bar held in the vice. The bends I produced had minimal flattening and zero kinks or cracks...hopefully the tube I buy will be just as easy to work as this piece has been.
The local brake repair shop will only sell the tube to me in 5 meter coils which is probably a little more than I will need, but would allow for a stuff up or two !...Barry

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Suwannee wrote:...thanks guys, I hear what you are saying about the copper product being easier to shape...but I'm hoping someone might "come into bat " for using steel as well. As you can probably tell, I'm still undecided but leaning towards steel due to its strength.
How strong do you need it? Rigid Copper or Copper/Nickel/Iron (Cunifer) brake line is more than adequate to resist brake system pressures and any other stresses likely to be encountered . Mild steel lines were used originally because the material was cheap (and still is). The major downside is that it rusts. You could use stainless steel but it's very expensive and difficult to bend and flare. Personally I've used Cunifer for brake, clutch and fuel lines and have no reservations about it in any of these applications.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Stainless steel brake lines are a common upgrade for classic cars and SUVs in the States, I used to have a Chevrolet Tahoe which I upgraded to rear discs instead of drums, but I don't think that they are made for older Daimlers yet. They're usually available in specific sets.

Regards

Geoff

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Cunif is used in 40 ton trucks, all be it in larger tube sizes but if it is safe for them it's good enough for me.

Have been using Cunif for over 40 years and it has never failed me yet.

It's strong bends and flares well, looks good and it does not rust.

Steel is not as easy to flare, not as easy to bend and from the day you fit it it, it has some rust on it and in it and starts to rust from both the inside and outside.

Barry, it's your car, like all of us you will fit what you feel best with, but for a few extra dollars you can fit and forget Cunif and have brake lines for life.

Suwannee

Post by Suwannee »

...many thanks for your replies, you've convinced me...I'm going to use cunifer, regards Barry