Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SU Fuel Pumps

Marc Mears

SU Fuel Pumps

Post by Marc Mears »

SU Fuel pump

Took the Dart over to Classic Le Mans, and one of the drivers in my car ran out of fuel (I was in another at the time) …… did have 5L in spare tank and put it in, but car would not run right and it kept on stopping for the next few miles.
So first I checked the filter, clean, then I checked to see if any was coming out at the carbs – none… no pressure.
So then looked at the rear filter I had put on, but all good. The pump would tick, but nothing would come out.
So I disconnected the pump and blew through the pipe – and all was free as it should be… so the new positive earth electronic SU pump that is 3 years old and only done 2000 miles was not working…
So the question is, has anyone ever run out of fuel and has that knackered up the pump??? Or is it just co incidence…and the SU pumps are rubbish
I had packed this little pump as a spare and wired it up so the black earth was positive and the red was earth… also the body is plastic so nothing to short out to, and it’s been the best 50 quid I have ever paid
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorspor ... -fuel-pump
Good to keep a spare…… if you are going away. and it’s a cracking little pump…
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

SPAR

Re: SU Fuel Pumps

Post by SPAR »

Marc, I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be an air lock further up the fuel line. I loosened off the float chamber top on the nearside carb. while the ignition was turned on and, lo and behold, petrol started coming through. SPAR.

Marc Mears

Post by Marc Mears »

SPAR wrote:Marc, I once had a similar problem and it turned out to be an air lock further up the fuel line. I loosened off the float chamber top on the nearside carb. while the ignition was turned on and, lo and behold, petrol started coming through. SPAR.
I undid the fuel line as it came into the first carb, and left the pump ticking for 30 odd secs and no fuel came out - then I checked the filter next to it thinking that could be blocked and even the copper screen was clean... I would guess that some how the diaphragm is the problem... will report wen I take it to bits in the next day or two.......
Daimler Dart. Healey 3000 Mk3. VW T2 Camper. BMW 2002tii. 996 Turbo. BMW Z3M. Hillman Tilly. Rolls Royce 20/25. XK 150 ots .BMW 3.0 CSL 73. Sunbeam Alpine Mk3.Morris 8 Tourer. 97 XK8 Convertible.Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Citroen Mehari

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

I would lay a £ to a penny that it is dirt somewhere . Have you checked inside the pump itself ? And any screen on the pickup pipe ?

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I seem to recall reading somewhere that SU pumps are power critical and if there is less than 12v they don't work as well as they should. Check you have good earth.

Cheers
Michael

Josef Eckert

Post by Josef Eckert »

Electronic SU pumps are not very reliable. Much better are the points ones. They work for twenty years without failure.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Josef Eckert wrote:Electronic SU pumps are not very reliable. Much better are the points ones. They work for twenty years without failure.

Josef Eckert
Konigswinter/Germany
Er........

I had 2 cars (1958 bought 1960) and 1963 as new that both suffered SU points pump failures within 2 years. Also have had several SU points pump problems in my now 20 year "classic" car ownership.Iwould now fit an NZ made electrical pump but with pressure regulator.

H

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

I'm with you, Howard.
I had occasional trouble from points-type SU pumps for about 40 years, until repeated failures almost ruined an holiday. An electronic upgrade kit was now available from Burlen, and conversion took about an hour. Perfect reliability ever since, about 8 years.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

kent sutton

Post by kent sutton »

Dear Guys
I'm with you Wilf.
Howard I fitted a New Zealand electronic pump purchased many years ago from The NZ D&LOC designed as a direct replacement for the SU pump (fitted perfectly as described, even correct threads for pump unions and mounts) but one extremely hot day (ambient temp 40C) the car suffered severe fuel vaporisation problems.
Reverted to SU pump modified to electronic (from Burlen) and to date a model of reliability.
Yours
Kent

edsel60

Post by edsel60 »

purchased a dart back in 1976 on your side,had it shipped to navy pier in chicago. fuel pump died about half way home.