Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Handbrake Adjuster Nut for SP250

Cameron

Handbrake Adjuster Nut for SP250

Post by Cameron »

Hello everyone,

Been a member for a while but this is my first post on the forum.

I arrived home the other day after a run in the SP250 to find that the handbrake adjuster nut on one side had fallen off - resulting in the loss of the nut and associated spring. Fortunately the Tie Bolt was still in place.

I've been in touch with Barry Thorne but unfortunately he does not have any in stock so I wondered if anyone on the forum may know where I could find one?

An alternative solution, suggested by Barry, is to look at using a replacement nyloc nut, so I may have to go down that route. Has anyone done this before or used some form of alternative nut?

Many thanks for your help.

Cameron.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: Handbrake Adjuster Nut for SP250

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'm assuming you're referring to the adjusting nut and spring on the handbrake caliper Cameron? I replaced mine many moons ago with 'Aerotight stiffnuts' . Unlike 'Nyloc' nuts these are all-metal items and are reusable. They're used in aerospace applications and as well as being extremely vibration resistant they remain fully functional up to 300°C ; this makes them particularly suitable for brake applications. Although you wouldn't normally expect the handbrake caliper parts to experience elevated temperatures, as well as replacing the two part adjuster (nut and spring) I've used them for securing the handbrake pads and in many other applications on the car. (They're useful as manifold nuts)

They are relatively expensive compared with other types of anti-vibration nut but very reliable; not always easy to find in small quantities but here's one supplier
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Dragon

Post by Dragon »

Hi Cameron,
Long ago I found the original adjuster nut and it's 'clicker' clip were not doing the job at all, and added a nyloc nut on the end. This worked so well that I scrapped the original and have used nylocs alone for many years. They are cheap and easy to replace if the thread grip reduces. The coil spring that holds the pads apart when not engaged is important, not only to reduce expensive pad wear, but also to prevent unnecessary heating through pad contact when the car is moving.
Wilf,
SP250 104008, Herefordshire.

Cameron

Post by Cameron »

Vortex & Wilf,

Many thanks for your quick replies and advice, I'm pleased to hear that there are a couple of alternative solutions and that the end result can actually be better than the original set up.

I'll look into the two options and will replace both sides as a precaution.

Thanks again,

Cameron.