Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel float and made my 1st 100 miles

JSabah

Fuel float and made my 1st 100 miles

Post by JSabah »

Made my 1st 100 miles today... So far so good except that I found that my fuel overflow was pouring out onto the street. Rather than risk a fire, I took the float bowl apart to inspect the needle, seat and float. Found the float submerged and full of fuel. A few questions for those more experienced than me (which is most ) . The floats I have are the old brass type. Should I find the hole (using the hot water method) and solder it, or replace with the newer nitrophyl (plastic type material that is supposed to be better for today's fuels), and if replace, should I do both so that they are the same? Thank you.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Sp250, Sunbeam Tiger, MGTD, Jensen Interceptor conv, Jensen Interceptor Coupe', '49 Plymouth Woody and now a '65 Jensen CV8 Mk3 LHD

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Fuel float and made my 1st 100 miles

Post by John-B »

The same thing happened to me, but my niece noticed the liquid on the ground as I moved a few yards out of my garage. She and I thought it was coolant, but it was petrol, so I didn't drive the car.

A few days later Phil Glennerster came to look at my car before giving me an estimate of engine restoration, but I didn't dare start the car. He took out the offending brass float and showed me that it was so full of petrol that it didn't rise enough to close the inflow.

He recommended plastic floats but I couldn't find any at the time so I bought brass ones from David Manners and they are still there after Phil restored the engine. I think brass ones are probably OK for many years, but keep an eye open for any trouble. I think some ingredients in petrol, perhaps ethanol, can cause the brass to corrode.

You must replace both floats; they are fairly cheap and you don't want the other one to be a problem too.

Edit: just hearing about wildfires at LA, keep safe, especially the SP250; don't drive it through a fire with petrol spewing from the carb. overflow.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Fuel float and made my 1st 100 miles

Post by Sydsmith »

The good old remedy was always to solder the floats using the hot water method you suggest Josh, but we always used to add solder to balance the float if the hole is in one side of it.

Brass floats are very long lived but many have always leaked after years of use, I don't have anything against the plastic ones but for me soldered floats have always lasted for years after repair.