Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 250 handbrake pad

captain bobo

Daimler V8 250 handbrake pad

Post by captain bobo »

When I arrived home yesterday I noticed that the handbrake lever pulled all the way up, so planned to make the adjustment today. Today I was expecting to have to rotate the compensating bolt in the rear brake assembly, but upon inspection the outer handbrake pad on the offside was missing! I've ordered a set of 4 new pads & will fit them later in the week.

This raises a couple of questions in my mind based upon my usual ignorance: (a) how could the pad have fallen out (or been dislodged), and (b) is there supposed to be some mechanism to prevent them falling out?

Any observations & comments would, as usual, be gratefully received.
Best wishes, Dave B

johnwager

Re: Daimler V8 250 handbrake pad

Post by johnwager »

Dave
The handbrake pads are held in by a small bolt that the slotted backplate of the pad slides over.
Possibly the pad material has parted from it's backplate, or the small bolt is loose.
At least it's easily remedied.
John.

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, had this happen just after restoring my V8, found that 2 pads had come off, and put it down to pattern parts that the car came with, Moprod I think, so fitted with OEM parts and no problems since. all the best Tony

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Long story short, the pad had become detached from its backing plate (which was still bolted in place). Not very encouraging from a safety perspective!

New pads freely available and easily installed.
Best wishes, Dave B

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

I too had the same issue with rear pads on my v8 250 that had sat for many years with 'new' pads
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

As a postscript to this topic, I was disappointed that a couple of relatively well known spares companies couldn't be bothered to reply to my email asking for price and availability for a set of 4 handbrake pads.

Shame on you John Gordon and The Jagman. I'm going to take them off my Xmas card list!!!

I ended up buying from a company I had never heard of before who shipped same day by courier to arrive the next day - all at a better price than the usual suspects.
Best wishes, Dave B