Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Hazard Warning Light Retrofit

wejxf03

SP250 Hazard Warning Light Retrofit

Post by wejxf03 »

Has anyone retrofitted hazard warning lights to a SP250?
If so is there any instructions / wiring diagram?
Am not thinking of doing it yet but thought it may be one of my winter projects.

many thanks
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 Hazard Warning Light Retrofit

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Here's one simple solution.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

RadfordJim

Post by RadfordJim »

I've just fitted one this week.
I used a GSS159 unit available from David Manners or online for about £30 and installation is quite straightforward. The unit has a multi-pole illuminated pull switch and a heavy duty flasher relay built in. It comes with full instructions, mine didn't have a wiring diagram but you can find one online if you need to.
HazLt.jpg
There's 6 wires to connect and you'll need some scotchlok and lucar connectors plus a couple of metres of single cable.
1. Purple (fused) wire from hazard unit to an unswitched point or battery ( I used cigar lighter feed).
2. On your flasher unit cut the wire to terminal B or X, (usually green) extend these two ends and join to the two green/purple wires on the hazard unit.
3. Using scotchlok connectors, join the green wire and the green/white wire from the hazard unit to the green/white and green/red wires on your indicator warning lamps behind the rev counter. It doesn't matter which way round you connect.
4. Black wire from hazard unit connect to a suitable earth point.
That's it!
Jim in Coventry - Home of the Daimler

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

I wouldn't use Scotchloks on anything! Best to break into the wire and use solder and shrink wrap.

FWIW
Michael

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Yes, never use those Scotchlock terminals. Disastrous devices, ruin your wiring and open to corrosion. Better invest in some proper bullets and snap connectors. Lucas used to supply a retro fit kit for this.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I have a period push / pull illuminated switch and was wondering if I can wire this in via a relay. If not I think I will go for the GSS159 unit as suggested.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

martinj

Post by martinj »

I have just done mine using a Durite 0-484-50 switch. To avoid having a non period switch on the dashboard I mounted it on a bracket on the back of the dash so I have a button under the dash just to the right of the rev counter. There is a wiring diagram here: http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/f ... iagram.jpg I used the supply to the satnav socket for the always on supply and the warning light wires to connect to the flashers. I have previously fitted LED bulbs and an adjustable two terminal flasher unit so my installation may not be too easy to replicate just for the hazard flashers. I will amend my wiring diagram and post it later.

3 long wires to the flasher unit area under the bonnet, three short wires under the dash and a loop to connect two of the terminals on the switch.

Martin

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I'm no fan of Scotchlocks either, but where I need to splice or tap into existing wiring I use american Posi-Tap connectors. These are very effective, extremely reliable, waterproof and re-usable. They're quite expensive over here but if you want a simple reliable connection to an existing circuit, they're the bee's knees.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

martinj

Post by martinj »

Here is my wiring diagram:
Indicators and Hazards reduced.jpg
The green changes were made to get the LEDs to work as they should. Fit two pin flasher unit and earth the warning light connection

The red wiring shows the connections for the hazard switch.

I have used some scotchlocks but now I know it works I will be soldering on bullets.

Martin
951 XBH

Jez

Post by Jez »

If you want to use a regular switch, then you can use a double pole relay (or a pair of single pole units if you have them around) to connect into the main flasher circuit. I haven't done this with the Dart yet, but the MG has almost identical wiring. In that set up, a simple switch fed from an unswitched supply powers both a heavier duty hazard flasher unit and the coil of a double pole relay. The flasher unit the powers both poles of the relay with the switched side connected to the flasher circuits, one pole for each side.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys