Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Old Forum down

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Old Forum down

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The old archived DLOC forum website has been down for a couple of days. Hopefully it will be resuscitated soon?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Old Forum down

Post by grahamemmett »

It’s the time of year when the bill has to be paid.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Well, a month on and it's still down - so I guess we can assume it's goodbye to a valuable resource?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

It's not goodbye - yet. Peter Baker and Graham Emmett are thinking about what to do next as the old software is expensive to run and keeps letting us down. Getting the data converted and then transferred to our server is also expensive, so we wait and see. It's beyond my capabilities and permissions to do anything, Peter is the only one who can do anything.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Get the data transferred would cost about £1200, one time fee. I posted about this before, viewtopic.php?f=16&t=4193. I guess nothing was done and Peter didn't look into it. The longer it's left the more likely it will be lost and then there won't be a problem any more.

JohnM

Post by JohnM »

Sounds like a worthwhile investment to me, Chris - the Club has considerable funds to cover it, one would think.

Would it be a good idea for Forum members of like mind to email Graham and Peter directly, to encourage them to look into the transfer of data as a matter of urgency?

John
John M in Middlesex, NW London
1962 SP250 "B" Spec
DLOC Herts Region Sec

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello,

I am all for preserving historic information, which in turn forms a decent knowledge platform for all model owners.

Playing Devils Advocate, I think the powers to be within DLOC will point out that by spending £1200, it is doing so not just for members but is also indirectly subsidising non-members allowing them to access the old Forum.

I believe DLOC will accept that non-members accessing the current Forum is a by-product of it being in existence, but "they" may not be so charitable when it comes to providing such funds for the old Forum for the reason given above.

Some car clubs that run Forums allow threads to be accessed by non-members for up to six months, after that the thread goes in to the archive. To access the archive you need to be a registered member and apply to the Webmaster for access permission. It is certainly a method of access adopted by the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club.

Due to the Covid-19 situation, car clubs including DLOC will have reduced membership income with many folk not bothering to renew and calling it a day, full stop. This takes its toll on club finances and DLOC will be very much aware of that and likely to dictate their spending pattern accordingly for a long time ahead yet.

If the old Forum can be saved in some way then of course it must be done, but if the question rests solely on finance then my hope is not as buoyant as it could be.

Just my observation.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

With almost £90,000 cash in the bank and a balance sheet figure of almost £120,000 at the last set of accounts (May 2019) the DLOC Ltd has more than enough money for the small cost of moving the old forum. It might not even cost as much as £1200. The problem seems that the board are just not interested in the forum. They weren't interested at the time the new one was set up in 2016 and nothing has been done since except to allow it to continue in a read-only state.
N.B. Articles of Association of DLOC Ltd filed on 24th April 2020 item (b):
to preserve, restore and maintain all Motor Vehicles and any associated historical artefacts or archives.
Admittedly a lot of posts in the old forum was chit chat, jokes and other inconsequential ramblings but there was a lot of valuable technical posts as well on many subjects covering all the cars. There was also quite an active tracking of cars for sale which was quite valuable when a car came up again. This has not continued so actively in the new forum.
Quite a few long standing forum members left when the old one was closed down to new posts and they did not take up on the new one which is less active than the old one was.
On the other hand, maybe we should just give up on this and go and use Mark Zuckerberg's facility. It seems quite active with 1300 members of the V8 / V8 250 Owners group and posts on the Daimler and Lanchester Owners Club page and at least 3 groups for the SP250.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

classiclife wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:53 pm Hello,

Playing Devils Advocate, I think the powers to be within DLOC will point out that by spending £1200, it is doing so not just for members but is also indirectly subsidising non-members allowing them to access the old Forum.

I believe DLOC will accept that non-members accessing the current Forum is a by-product of it being in existence, but "they" may not be so charitable when it comes to providing such funds for the old Forum for the reason given above.

Some car clubs that run Forums allow threads to be accessed by non-members for up to six months, after that the thread goes in to the archive. To access the archive you need to be a registered member and apply to the Webmaster for access permission. It is certainly a method of access adopted by the Sunbeam Alpine Owners Club.

Regards.

Richard.
This forum already has sections visible only to both forum and DLOC members but not guests, like Wilf Stephens' articles, and the Club Documents sub-forum which is only visible to DLOC members (I add forum members manually to a Club Members Group), so limiting access to the old Forum to DLOC members only would be no problem. At the moment the old forum is hidden from Guests (ie all people not logged in) (when it works!).

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Surely chaps someone needs to take this issue to the next AGM or table it for discussion at the next opportunity. Then a vote can be put to resolve it. No point in getting all wound up about a club conspiracy to kill it off or talk of leaving if one doesn't get ones way.
It's a club for all members and we are in a democracy so it can't be that hard to resolve it.
Perhaps Chairman would like to comment and agree to a motion being put forward?
As with all such things, delay will probably lead ultimately to greater expense so a prompt solution would be in everyone's interest.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.