Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Trying to track down my Grandfather's DB18 (HVC625)

MikeK

Trying to track down my Grandfather's DB18 (HVC625)

Post by MikeK »

As part of my research into my family tree, I'm trying to track down my Grandfather's DB18 which was sold after his death in 1980.

The car was a Tickford bodied drop head coupe with a registration number of HVC625. I understand from talking to my father that the car was originally ordered by a Liverpool MP and then purchased by my Grandfather in the 1950s. My grandfather was from Liverpool and lived in Melling and Lydiate and I believe that when the car was sold in 1980 it was sold locally (but I could be wrong). I've attached a photo on which you can just make out my grandfather's modification of adding a temperature gauge to the top of the radiator.

I really just looking to see if the car still exists (I would hope that a car like this would not have been scrapped) so I can get some up to date photos to share with the family.

Any assistance would be much appreciated!
Attachments
tickford-daimler.jpg

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Trying to track down my Grandfather's DB18 (HVC625)

Post by Salmons »

I have no record of your grandfather's car in the Salmons Tickford Register which has been compiled over the last 33 years.
Hopefully if your grandfather was a member of the DLOC someone may remember him or the car.

Dennis

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

HVC 625

✗ Untaxed
Tax due:
01 August 1997

Incorrect tax status?
MOT
Exempt

Incorrect MOT status?
Warning
If you've just bought this vehicle the tax or SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) doesn't come with it. You'll need to tax it before driving it.
Vehicle make: DAIMLER
Date of first registration: April 1949
Year of manufacture: 1949
Cylinder capacity (cc): 2522 cc
CO₂Emissions: Not available
Fuel type: PETROL
Export marker: No
Vehicle status: Not taxed
Vehicle colour: BLACK
Vehicle type approval: Not available
Wheelplan: 2 AXLE RIGID BODY
Revenue weight: Not available
Tax rates:
View tax rates
The vehicle tax rates are only available if you have the latest 11 digit reference number from the V5C registration certificate (logbook)

STILL on record with DVLA so still a chance it may be stored but where and it is 20 years since the tax expired at the end of this month, let us hope you find the car or a member has good news of where it is hidden.
Last edited by Norfolk Lad on Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Possibly the car is sitting in a collection somewhere or it may have gone abroad.

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Salmons wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:33 pm Possibly the car is sitting in a collection somewhere or it may have gone abroad.
Which countries have an online vehicle check website like DVLA? It would be worth checking these, if they exist.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

There were only 25 of this model built on the DB18 chassis by Tickford Ltd.
I only know of 12 of them

Dennis

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Close but not quite....
HVC623.jpg
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I'd suggest that you contact the DB18 registrars and ask if the car is on the register and if it is, if they will pass your contact details to the current owner so that they may contact you if they chose.
Chris wright chris@follyfoot.net 0191 519 1000
David Beales d.beales@ntlworld.com 0113 217 1643
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Just a thought you can apply for a cars history if a past or present owner , would be great if one of the family lived at grandfathers old address. Cost is £5-00 not saying you should bend the rules but the history could still go to that address in his name, not sure if a family member counts, www.gov.uk/request-information-from-dvla worth a try.