Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SS - leave well enough alone

Crossley Stephenson

SS - leave well enough alone

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

A few weeks back my Special Sports had a rare 'failure to proceed' eventually resolved by a fuel pump rebuild kit from David Beales.

While I had the floor and toe-board out - to access the reserve fuel tap that I initially thought was the problem - I thought I should check the fluid flywheel oil level having ignored it for about 10 years because of the hassle with access. There was no real reason to check - no leaks - I just jthought it was a good idea......wrong!

It went something like this: remove brass plug, top up (<75ml, not worth the effort), replace plug - but it wouldn't go in. A closer examination revealed a helicoil had previously been inserted and had now failed. Many expletives and a nausea at the prospect of having to removed the gearbox to make a repair ensued.

By coincidence I had seen a van in our local area just a day or two before with 'The Thread Doctor' emblazoned on the side and I had taken the telephone number. He turned out to be as useless as (insert your own useless phrase) and nearly passed out when I told him the thread for the plug was 1/2" BSP 14TPI

A ring around the usual sources for such engineering items as a Helicoil kit drew a complete blank - 1/2" BSP is obviously not common in Oz. An internet search located a repair kit in Blighty and it was soon on its way for a modest AUD$95. Worth a try I thought.

The damaged helicoil was easily removed and luck was with me when all I had to do was clean the thread with the tap provided and insert the new Helicoil. Plug and new copper washer fitted - job done and much relief.

Will take the old girl for a run tomorrow but the moral of the story - "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" or leave well enough alone.

Cheers
Michael😁

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: SS - leave well enough alone

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Michael,
Look on the bright side, your flywheel doesn't leak significantly, you fixed the problem and you're back in the road again!
Cheers
Peter G

Crossley Stephenson

Re: SS - leave well enough alone

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

You are such an optimist PG, glass half full😉

Taking Lilly for a run tomorrow to buy some Flinders mussels for PP😁

Marcus amd Amanda called in a couple of days ago and we had a coffee and a couple of hours together. If they had of let is know they could have stayed but we only got home from Wiplpena Pound the afternoon before.

Hope you are well.
M