Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest century fuel pump

michel38

Conquest century fuel pump

Post by michel38 »

Hi everybody,

Since my Conquest century DJ257 has been completely renewed, I have run about 3000 kms, but impossible to make more than 160km in one step.
Engine completely renewed, ignition system new. The car was equipped with an electrical fuel pump for which it was not possible to find new gaskets. I replaced it by a new SU fuel pump (AU25).I have respected mounting instruction, but after some kms (about 60/80kms) the engine stalls. After waiting some minutes I can start again for some kms (less and less).
When the engine stops i have seen that there is no gas inside the filter which is on the outlet (plastic type) and the pump seems anormaly hot.
When the pump is hot, if i disconnect the pipe going to the carbs, no gas is coming. When it is cold, everything is OK.
I really cannot understand why this happens, and if somebody has an idea on the subject, it would be great.
I refit an electrical pump because i didn't have the mechanical one and i thought it was a better solution for a car with 2 carbs, which is not used every day.

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Conquest century fuel pump

Post by Petelang »

Hi Mike.
Maybe it is overworking due to either a partial blockage on the pick up side or possibly something floating about in the tank, which gets sacked up under the pick up pipe, closing off the flow. Have you had the tank cleaned? On one of my DS420's I had a similar problem and the pipe was all but blocked with carbon deposits. I managed to clear it by " drilling" through it with some steel wire and couldn't believe how it ever ran at all with the amount of debris removed. If your tank has a bung below the lift pipe, perhaps drain fuel and check if there is a filter gauze which may show evidence.
Best of luck.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

michel38

Post by michel38 »

The tank has been removed and cleaned.
I have made a test with a direct line from tank To pump in order To avoid air intake. Filtres are clean.

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

Could it be that the petrol tank is not getting enough air to replace the fuel therefore creating a vacuum?
Perhaps the breather is blocked. I think it is part of the petrol filler cap. There should be a small hole which bypasses the sealing ring.

Graham

michel38

Post by michel38 »

The petrol filler cap has been checked. It is OK. If i drive the car for 50kms for example and i stop for 1 hour, i run again for 50kms i can say the car runs perfectly well, and i will never see any problem. If i try to make the same distance in one step there will be overheating of the pump. As i don't know very well this pump, may be there is something to be adjusted? when i check the flow i find 300cc for 30s when the pump is cold: right!!! I cannot suspect the pump as it is a new one...

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

I have installed eletcrical pump,works fine.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Hate to state the obvious, but what's wrong with the AC mechanical, as fitted?

N.
Normal for Norfolk

michel38

Post by michel38 »

I think there is no problem with AC mechanical fuel pump, but when i bought the car it wass equipped with an old electric pump that i have replaced by a new SU fuel pump. I have dismantled SU pump and se en that impact washer and brass rings have been forgotten during assembling!!!!

pekkak

Post by pekkak »

I have similar problems. I have been able to drive lately short trips only. After about 5 km the engine stalled and stopped. After a while it worked ok a short distance. I have installed a cheap plastic filter in fuel line. I noticed it was darkish. I have used normal E98 petrol from the local service station pump (contains 5% alcohol) and added lead subtitute chemical before filling up. I removed the the floating chamber in the carburettor and noticed some darkish jellylike material in the bottom. I cleaned it easily with brake cleaner spray and compressed air. But this problem was repaeated. I suppose that material from my Conquest's tank getting loose and stucks the fuel line. Now I have removed the tank and cleaning it's interior. First I try a soft method: flushing with brake cleaner. But if that doesn't work I plan to put in a couple of handfuls of nuts and shake it long time. Then if I notice that the tank is leaking, I plan to resurface the interior with a set available from the local shop.