Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fuel Filler Pipe EL24

qantasqf1

Re: Fuel Filler Pipe EL24

Post by qantasqf1 »

Ron, it looks to me like your outer pipe is not original. If so it's almost certain it's been made slightly too long so the remedy is obvious. I'd make an educated guess here - the DB18 inner and outer pipes are equal diameter connected by a rubber hose which is secured with jubilee clips; I assume this is common to all Daimlers of the period.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Ron.

My Mulliner bodied 15 has exactly the same set up as your pictures show, but the filler pipe, which looks similar to yours, is about 2-3 inches short of the tank neck. The two parts are then joined together with a rubber section over them both as has been said and shown here, held together and petrol tight by two stainless hose clips.

In my case the rubber is not the ringed type as in Marks photo just plain very large rubber hose, which I would think was there to maintain some flexibility between the tank, filler and body.

If it were rigidly fixed to the tank then I would expect there would be quite a lot of movement between the filler neck and the body grommet.

The set up on my car appears to be original, I had the whole lot off when I bought the car to sort fuel tank problems, it all went back together with a bit of jiggling and I have had no problems with fuel leaks as yet.

As has been said from the photographs your filler pipe looks like it might be too be too long for the job,

Incidentally the rubber tank mounts on my car are quite big and though old space the tank almost an inch off the chassis, perhaps your tank is not spaced off the chassis correctly?

Hope that helps. Syd

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi Ron,

I have taken some photos of the filler pipe in my Daimler bodied EL24 limousine. Although this has been rebuilt, by Dave Holingshead using parts from 2 cars, I have no reason to suspect the parts are not original.

The filler cap does sit proud of the body work as you can see in the first 2 photos. The next photo shows the rubber joint to the tank neck. The remaining photo and the ones in the next post show the filler pipe.
EL24 Filler cap 1.JPG
EL24 Filler cap 2.JPG
EL24 Filler - tank joint.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe 1.JPG
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

More photos of the filler pipe in situ.
EL24 Filler pipe 2.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe 3.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe through body.JPG
Cheers, Henry Curwen

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi Ron,

Some more photos of the filler pipe removed and in situ without the joining rubber. The pipe and the tank neck are the same diameter.

I have measured the pipe sections as well. Looking at the outer end of the pipe, there are 4 small holes drilled in it, round the circumference (at 90 degrees), just below the filler cap. These appear to be breather holes and therefore should be outside the car. This will be why the filler cap sits proud of the body. You can see one hole in the second photo, and the wear mark in the paint where the pipe passes through the body.

The dimensions of the pipe sections are (longest dimension between angled cuts):
Outer length from shoulder of filler cap fitting 20.5 cm. The photo shows the tape against the underside of the cap, not the shoulder
Midsection 20 cm
Section to tank 10 cm

The filler pipe is galvanised inside and out, under the paint.
EL24 Filler - tank joint hose removed.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe outer section.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe - mid section.JPG
EL24 Filler pipe - inner section.JPG
Hope all this helps.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

While on this subject - I am after the rubber grommet that goes between the body and the filler pipe. This hole cut into the body is 3" diameter while the filler pipe is 2.25" diameter.

Ron, have you found a suitable replacement?

The one fitted to the Conquest is almost a good fit but seems to be for a 2.5" dia filler pipe.

Any one else got any suggestions? I haven't tried John Nash or David Beales yet.
Cheers, Henry Curwen