Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1966 Daimler Majestic Major PSR 727

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: 1966 Daimler Majestic Major PSR 727

Post by theoldman »

PSR is a Forfar (latterly Angus) number issued Oct 56 to Jun 57, so will not be the original which would have been on the "D", so probably a private plate.

Number not found on DVLA database, however, so would suppose they would reisssue something on the D suffix
Normal for Norfolk

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Which is what I posted about 4 posts ago!

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Happily admitting to complete ignorant bliss but what is the fascination, and valuation, for number plates with UK enthusiasts?
We do occasionally get very early single or double digit registration plates auctioned here in NSW for healthy money but we don't seem to share the same interest and value in older plates.

Cheers from Downunder

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Memo to self.

Read previous posts thoroughly...........................

Sorry Chris!! It's me age you know......................
Normal for Norfolk

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

You're forgiven, I expect I'll get there eventually. I just hope not soon!
"Young" Chris.

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Peter, there are many reasons for the attraction which goes back right to the start of the system when someone (I forget exactly who) reportedly queued all night (or sent his butler to do it for him) to secure the very first A1 registration number.
After that it was always a prestige thing to get the first number in a series. Or if you were wealthy enough to get a whole series. A rather flamboyant MP by the name of Sir Gerald Nabarro had a series of numbers on his cars from NAB 1 through to NAB 8. Another person I know of bought himself a new Rolls Royce every year but he was modest and didn't want to appear brash so the new one was always the same colour as the previous and the number plate always carried forward so no one else knew. It was only obvious when a new model came out and he changed to that. Other people like to reflect what they do. Comedian Jimmy Tarbuck at one time had COM 1 C as his registration. Magician Paul Daniels had MAG 1 C, Glamour model Fiona Richmond had PEN 15 on her car and so it goes on. They will have paid quite a lot for that. Or how about having RR 1 on your Rolls Royce?
Many people like to have their initials on the registration number or to make up a name. A local business owner, Mr Singh, has MA 51 NGH which if you massage slightly can be made to resemble his name. Another Mr Singh who is vain enough would pay a lot to have that on his car! Since the advent of year codes on registration numbers, quite a lot of people prefer that they don't have a year code and so try to buy a registration that pre-dates the year codes.
There are many other reasons too.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Fellow dloc members....
In answer to what the buff log book shows, I can confirm it shows the plate the car is wearing... Psr 727. So where does that leave us?

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, Peter, as you know I have visited Perth on many occasions, and can confirm that their are a large number of cars there with personal No plates attached , and also a lot of "Hoons" who seen to delight in leaving large quantities of a tyre rubber on the local roads !

Cheers Big Bad A'l

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Chris_R »

Marcus wrote:Fellow dloc members....
In answer to what the buff log book shows, I can confirm it shows the plate the car is wearing... Psr 727. So where does that leave us?
Given also the style of the number plate itself, which is of a style common before the white/yellow reflective plates arrives so probably pre-dates 1968, I reckon the most likely scenario is that PSR 727 was on another car before this one and for whatever reason, the owner of that earlier car transferred it to this one. Perhaps there was some sentimental reason that we can't imagine. Maybe it was his initials. Maybe his wife's initials. Or his mistress's!

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

But wouldn't the buff log book state the number it was originally registered with? I don't see how that could have been PSR 727?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster