Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

1966 Daimler Majestic Major PSR 727

Chris_R
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: 1966 Daimler Majestic Major PSR 727

Post by Chris_R »

Very easily. It was transferred from the previous car to this one at the time of original registration. It was always possible to do that which is how many of the old numbers survived (excluding the ones that the DVLA have sold in recent years) onto modern cars.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Dear Forum members,
PSR 727 is finally in the UK and I have spent the weekend cleaning and polishing. The car came with no keys so at the moment we haven't explored the state of the engine but it is free. The attached pictures show the current state. There is some body work on the passenger side to attend to but I am pleased with the overall condition. The US paperwork shows previous owners to be Robert steinburg in Reno Nevada and Joseph Modarelli in Carson, Nevada. The trail stops in 1987 when the car appears to have been stored. The pictures of that are posted earlier in the thread. If any club member can add to the history I would love to hear from you. I have tried to contact the Daimler and Lanchester Owners club of NA but their website does not appear to be functioning.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Final pic...

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Sorry, try again!
Attachments
What a nice bottom!
What a nice bottom!

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

This may be of some help, PSR 727 Jaguar 3442cc registered 1st May 1957 to Strathmore Estates Ltd. Glaims, Angus. This car I think would have belonged to Lord & Lady Strathmore, Glamis Castle, birthplace of the late Queen Mother.

Ron

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks Ron, that is very interesting. I spent yesterday replacing the ignition barrel for one that I had a key for and removing the spark plugs to pour some diesel into the cylinders. I'll let that soak for a while before I attempt to turn the engine by hand.
I was pleased to find the original wool rear passenger rug amongst the boxes of rubbish that came free with the car plus some evidence that the car had attended a Daimler rally in the US.

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Hi all,
A quick update on PSR 727. Thanks to one of the forum members, I was able to contact a previous owners of the car. Joseph Modarelli is still alive and living in Carson City, Nevada. He was able to tell me that he purchased the car in Reno in the summer sometime between '84 and '86 for USD 4500. It was due to go to his sister in Southern California who had been looking for a Bentley but it never made it there because it was not reliable. Joseph did fit new kingpins though, having ordered the from Daimler. I suspect they may have come from Ben Mason.
The car won a first in class at a local car show ( the only Daimler entered!) but was pushed to the back of the barn when the reliability issues came to the fore.
I have also been on touch with the Strathmore Estate. They confirm that they have records alluding to the use of a Daimler however there is no reference to a registration number so for now the trail goes cold.
The forum proves to be a powerful resource in helping us to research the history of our cars so thanks to the people that make this possible.
Regards
Marcus

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Marcus it may be worth trying the Strathmore Vintage Vehicle Club website for some possible info.
The club have their Motor Museum on the estate and some members with long memories that just
may well remember your car.

Ron

Marcus

Post by Marcus »

Thanks Ron, another good lead to try! I will drop them a line. Watch this space...

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I contacted Dundee City Archive & Record Centre who confirm Ron's findings, i.e. Number: PSR 727
Name and Address: Strathmore Estates Ltd, Estates Office, Glamis
Description: 3442cc Jaguar
Date: 1.5.57.
I asked them if they have a record of the registration number being transferred to the Daimler in 1966. Here is their reply "Yes, we do have the records from 1966. I've checked these, but I'm afraid cant see any reference to the registration being transferred to the Daimler".

Sorry, I can't be of more help. All the best in your investigations, Ranald