Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

CONQUEST IGNITION

ROSS70JEN

CONQUEST IGNITION

Post by ROSS70JEN »

CAN ANY ONE HELP
WHICH WAY DOES THE LUCAS DM6 DISSY ROTATE?
MY OLD WORK SHOP MANELSECTION C SAYS CLOCKWISE
BUY THE EXPLODED VIEW SHOES THE ROTER AS ANTI CLOCKWISE.
WHICH IS RIGHT PLEASE?
I AM TRYING TO REPLACE THE POINTS AND CONDENCER WITH A ELECTRONIC
ANY ADVICE AS TO MAKE ?
THANKS BRYAN

qantasqf1

Re: CONQUEST IGNITION

Post by qantasqf1 »

As you say the manual says the rotor is clockwise, but all the illustrations point to anticlockwise. The simple way to find out is for someone to turn the engine on the crank handle while you're watching the rotor to see which is correct...do it with the plugs out! It looks like anti-clock to me.

Steve

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

When viewed from above the rotor arm moves anti-clockwise. When Lucas provided the specs for the distributor they quoted it as viewed from the drive end (ie underneath) so it says clockwise in the Lucas parts catalogue for these DM6 distributors.

Regards

Mike

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Right -listen up!!

The correct way to determine the rotation of a distributor is from the drive end - not the direction of which way the rotor rotates - which of course will appear to be in the opposite direction!

Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

I would suggest that what electronic ignition system you go for depends on how much you want to spend. At the cheaper end of the scale and with very little alterations to the system there is an unit that uses the points to trigger it and with the condenser removed the points are reputed to last for huge mileages. This is made or at least sold by Gammatronix and they have their own website and also can be found on eBay.
I have purchased one of these units for my LD10 but have not fitted it yet.
I did fit a system that fitted inside the distributor together with a matching coil. 30 miles later we are coming home on a rescue truck.
On speaking to the company they informed me that their website said I needed carbon core HT leads or the module would fail.
They very kindly replaced the ignition module and supplied the HT leads at a very modest cost. Because the leads or larger in diameter you have to turn the whole lead to screw them into the distributor cap and also likewise with the coil. A coil with a push in connection would be better to avoid the hassle there.
The second module lasted all of 5 seconds so I returned both modules and the coil and they declared the modules ok but the coil faulty.
As I had now decided to change the car to negative earth they kindly gave me a new negative earth module and also a new coil.
The coil is fitted but not the electronic ignition so hence the purchase of the points assisted unit.
A down side to that system was also that you could not time the ignition statically but I have to say it was not difficult to assess the performance and make adjustments at the road side.
Just thought my limited experience with such a system may help.
I did have a Luminition system on a Cortina years ago which was marvelous but when it failed that was it, no tinkering possible and home on the end of a towrope. You would have to be a more able person than me to replace the points and condenser at the roadside on a dark wet night.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

If retro-fit electronic ignition is so marvelous - how come half the posts on the forum are about their failure rate??

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Totally agree, Stan. Never bothered with it in all my years of classic motoring.

Everyone I know who has tried it have returned to contact breakers!!!
Normal for Norfolk

Bowedw

Post by Bowedw »

The modern ones are certainly getting more reliable and My Gammatronix points triggered unit will be fitted soon as I get round to doing it. Many classic car owners are fitting Alternators, some of them that look like Dynamos or electronic internals for Regulators. Anything that can help to keep you from taking your car to the expensive garage is a good thing. Being one of the dirty hands brigade it's not such a problem for me but anything that can help is a bonus.