Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Springs have sprung...

Robdavies

Springs have sprung...

Post by Robdavies »

Hello, I've been busy striping down the chassis of my 15 and all went really well, what wonderful metal they used back then, but one job I have to deal with is removeing the springs, both front and rear, both are in very poor condition and one of the rear is cracked, now I aproach this with a little trepidation as I've never tackled leaf springs before so I little advice would be gratefully received. How do you deal with the tension both when removing and when refitting them, will they just slid of their mounts or do they need some kind of extracter to pull them off? I'm of to search YouTube for any helpful videos but I rather doubt there is much about old Daimler, best wishes to all and if you do have a moment to pass on your wisdom and advice, I thank you gratefuly, yours Rob.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Springs have sprung...

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Rob.

I am no expert on Daimler 15 springs but they appear to be similar to the SP250 and Austins I have worked on in that they are only under tension when there is weight on them.

The trick is to jack both axle and chassis individually to a point where it neutralises the tension on the shackles, bit of a balancing act but it can be done, it's no good just jacking the chassis as that puts downward pressure on the shackles you need to lift the axle as well.

Not sure about the shackle pins, never had one out, but there were three new ones in the boot when I bought the car and they seem to be a clever bronze design which requires the pin to be unscrewed from the bush. No doubt some one will fill us in on how to extract them properly but it looks to me like you just put a spanner on them and turn all four of them out and that will free the shackle.

Hope that helps a bit and starts a response from some one who has done the job.

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello, thanks for your thoughts, I took a look at YouTube, the real open university, but by and large there were just a lot of big tattooed chaps with f350 pick-ups, interesting but not too related to my dainty Daimler.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Rob,

If you are going to dismantle the springs after removal, first remove any outer clips either side of the centre, then put a couple of "G" clamps either side of the centre pin before un-doing it. This is because some of the leaves will have a greater curvature when unloaded, and the spring leaves may suddenly fly apart.

Also, remember it is standard practice that when you re-assemble, the bolts through the outer clips face toward the tyre.

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Hello Rob, did you manage to get your springs off?

I don't know 15's but if they are similar to a Consort it might be worth you reading my post titled Consort Rear Spring Hangers on page 3or 4 of this forum.

I didn't post before because I thought someone with a 15 would reply.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"