Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 DHC pram-irons

bop

Daimler 15 DHC pram-irons

Post by bop »

Anyone know how to disassemble the pram-irons for the hood (at the pivot point) so they can be re-chromed?
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
thanks Bob

bop

Re: Daimler 15 DHC pram-irons

Post by bop »

Still looking for assistance on splitting these pram-irons
6.JPG
5.JPG
thanks
Bob

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi Bob
I have to say right from the start that I have never taken one of the pram irons apart, so this is conjecture based on a good look at your excellent photos.
It would appear that the large domed pivot point piece that you see on the outside of the irons, joining them together, has an extension piece "behind" it which goes through the two irons and is then riveted over on the inside. I would look at filing flat the inner face of the joint which should more clearly identify the location of this pivot piece. Once you`ve done that, it might be possible to press out the pivot piece, complete with the large dome etc, and thus separate the two irons. If it won`t press out then it might have to be drilled out. The only complication would be if the pivot is also actually tapped into the inner iron, rather than simply being riveted over - in which case you certainly would need to drill it out.
Of course, if I am correct so far, then you will almost certainly have to get new dome/pivot pieces machined. In that case I would get the holes in the irons drilled out slightly bigger, and tap the inner iron and have the bit of the pivot that goes into it threaded. Then it starts getting a bit complicated over which bits you plate and which bits you mask off.
As I say, this is simply conjecture, but I hope it helps.
Terry

bop

Post by bop »

Turns out they can be chromed without taking apart. :)
6.jpg
I am quite pleased with the results
Bob