Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hooper Daimlers

Barrie

Hooper Daimlers

Post by Barrie »

Green Godess in red.
http://m.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C830172
£570,000
Unfortunately my iPad will not let me copy pictures and post on the forum for posterity.
Perhaps someone else's computer is a bit more versatile.

Noelex

Re: Hooper Daimlers

Post by Noelex »

I know classic cars have increased in value but a Daimler worth this much. "Tell him he's dreaming" souce Australian film: The Castle
cheers Hugh

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Must have added an extra zero by mistake.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

You've mis-read the advert - it includes Bognor Regis - where the car is.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Having now found the ad, I note the car is in America - looks just the thing "Disaster Donald" should be swanning around in!!

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

8312819.jpg
I'm at a more compliant computer now so here are pictures for future reference.
I think there were 7 made and most have ended up in America where their 20' length is less conspicuous (maybe)
The last one to sell was either just in, or just out of, the Hurrah Collection
http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transport ... with-bingo
and was about £350k from memory.
I think one remains in UK as part of the Jaguar heritage collection.
I'd love to see one (and drive it!)
One of my ambitions is to own a Hooper car but maybe not at this end of the price scale.............
Attachments
8312823.jpg
8312827.jpg
8312825.jpg

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I'm really getting into these Hoopers Daimlers and wonder where this one is now?
When I last saw it it was for sale but I couldn't at the time face/afford replacing the Rexine interior.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Starting to get confused with all these special cars! Which one is this with the faired in headlights.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

They both have faired-in headlamps but the Red one is a 1948 DE36 known as the Green Goddess (after, I think, the motor show car which was painted green and so dubbed by the Press) It could also be specified with conventional headlamps and certainly one was made with a conventional veneered dashboard.
The Blue car is a 1954 Hooper 'Empress' bodied car with, I think, the DJ260 chassis which means a Conquest Century twin carb engine. You can tell these later cars from the earlier DB18 Special Sports chassied cars by the shorter, stubbier bonnet.
Edit: this is the DB18 version and shows the comparison between the two.
000_25871[1].jpg
Last edited by Barrie on Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I think there were perhaps 6 of the 2 door DJ Empresses and I had the pleasure of driving my friend Geoff Douglas's car on, I think, the Isle of Mull some time back. It was a delight. I think one of them (now based near Cambridge) was previously a Lady Docker car.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!