Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB 18 Flashing trafficators

davidkay

Re: DB 18 Flashing trafficators

Post by davidkay »

Hi Mark
I have sent the money via PayPal on Saturday the 26th march. My email address is kaydaimler@btinternet.com.

PayPal should have sent my address. I have already sent it 3 times with my phone number!!!!

Dave

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Before I go out and dismantle my trafficators, can anyone pander to my natural laziness by telling me whether I need to order 31 or 36mm festoon flashicators for my 1954 Century? Then I'll only need to take them apart once.

I already have flashing indicators fitted with working original trafficators, but I will get a secret surge of pleasure knowing that any driver who notices that the trafficators flash at a completely different rate will be momentarily discombobulated. Also sometimes I can't resist new technology, but only if it is affordable.

Thank you in anticipation.

Geoff

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Geoff, full marks to your laziness, which is in the top class bracket if I may say so - I am also intending to order some flashicators but am equally useless at going to measure the ones I have! But I also thought I would mention something that's in the back of my mind which says that 2 indicator systems flashing at 2 different rates isn't legal. I know your car doesn't require an MoT, and there is every chance I am talking out of that part of my anatomy which is currently supporting me in my chair, but I thought you might want to check.

Mark

PS if you find out the right size, let me know would you...?

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Mark

Thanks for your very kind comments and for pointing out a possible discrepancy in my cunning plan; you may indeed be correct, I will try to find out the letter of the law on differing flasher rates on the same machine, and also the length of festoon bulbs in Lucas trafficators of the early 1950s. I will report back but don't hold your breath. Sounds a bit like Mastermind.

I should note that because the left and right indicators use separate flasher units, they already flash at different rates, just not at the same time (rather like Eric Morecambe who played all the right notes for "Andrew Preview", but not necessarily in the right order).

If it turns out to be illegal I may just have to put the bulbs in, in order to find out how fast they do flash compared to the indicators, honestly officer, and hope that no one notices, which kind of defeats the original purpose of the plan.

Cheers

Geoff

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Judging by the number of motorists I see driving around with only one headlamp, only one stop lamp, only one sidelight, headlamps pointing in all directions, no number plate lamp plus all those drivers who don't even know where the indicator switch is, I somehow can't see Mr Plod counting your Flash rate.
It seems our traffic police have all but given up on these simple safety matters in recent years.
Just last week, I was driving Bride and Groom to a reception in our DS420, moved to right hand lane, indicating right to take a third exit at a roundabout when a "youf, in a great hurry to overtake everyone in the left hand lane chose to completely ignore this large orange flashing beacon on the right hand rear side of my car, berating me for stupidly being in his own personal overtaking Lane, hanging out of his window making rude gestures, in so doing he nearly hit the roundabout.
So I'm not going to use indicators any more. Safer to keep em guessing. Clearly this is the thinking behind BMW driver school!
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Pete, I can't argue with that; we call it 'Herefordshire headlight' around here.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Well, the results of a surprisingly brief investigation aided by Google are that you are correct Mark, and I commend you on your knowledge of the fine print of vehicle legislation!

At http://www.legislation.gov.uk you can find The Road Vehicles Lighting Regulations 1989. In Schedule 7, Part 1, at Item 10 are the electrical requirements for flashing indicators, the second of which, B, states that "All indicators on one side of a vehicle showing a flashing light shall flash in phase.......", a commendably concise and effective statement for a piece of legalese. I also consulted the online MoT testers manual but could find no such statement there and my heart lifted, briefly, until I read the regulations.

So that's it, end of secret discombobulation plan. My inner Scotsman thinks that there are likely to be other better ways to spend £40 looking after old Daimlers. It's probably not a good idea to discombobulate other drivers anyway, although like you Pete, failure to use indicators appropriately is at the top of my list of offensive motoring misdemeanours , closely followed by inappropriate use of front and rear fog lamps and failure to engage brain before moving off.

Thanks again

Geoff

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

I can't think where I picked that up, nor why it stuck in my brain, particularly when there's so much else I'd like to remember but can't!

Mark Bullen

Post by Mark Bullen »

Dave
Thanks for the money. Trafficators in the post as of yesterday as fortunately PayPal email got through with your address. I've checked my spam box and nothing received, also I get your email address as not available when I send emails so something strange is happening. Please let me know when they arrive.
Best wishes Mark

Dave Glyde

Post by Dave Glyde »

If it's any help Geoff I fitted the flashing trafficators but had the same quandary as yourself with different flash rates. When I ordered them I spoke with the guy who said as you've found that it's not legal and also doesn't look very tidy. He told me that he had fitted a separate switch / circuit for the 'modern' indicators fitted front and rear. That way he uses the trafficators when he goes to shows etc and the front/rear indicators for general road driving. This is the way I decided to go.
Dave in Dartford
1948 DB18/2.