Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler identification + mascot

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Daimler identification + mascot

Post by ranald »

I spotted the following lot coming up at Roger Jones, Colwyn Bay on 23rd May. Lot 368 "A CHROME CAR MASCOT/RADIATOR CAP in the form of a Schneider Supermarine Seaplane (Provenance: with accompanying photograph showing the mascot on a possibly 1930`s Daimler with the owner Owen Henry Parry of Nefyn outside the walls of Plas Glynllifon, Caernarfon)".
I asked the auctioneer for the photo which I attach below. Is it a Daimler 15 (1933)? - can anyone confirm. It is rather a nice mascot - maybe someone will be interested?
Attachments
Car Mascot.jpg

Warsash 2

Re: Daimler identification + mascot

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
A number of companies made Schneider Trophy mascots. LeJeurne allegedly used the blue prints of the S6B. There are some made for the directors of Supermarine and Rolls Royce are engine company. The mascots are inscribed with Rolls Royce. Others with Rolls Royce cars.They come in a number of sizes from 3 to 7 inches. The 5" Lejeurne model cost £2-10s-0p in 1930. A copy of mine is attached
Regards

Colin
Attachments
Superine 4 - 41.jpg

captain bobo

Post by captain bobo »

Judging by the angle of the bar that supports the headlights between the radiator & the wings I suspect that you're right about it being an early Daimler 15 (unless, of course, other forum members know better?).
Best wishes, Dave B

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I attach a better photo of the car. The mascot sold for £540 (incl commission)!
Daimler 15 with mascot.JPG

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I've just been informed that the car wearing the mascot is a 1932 - 34 Daimler "15" with 1,805c.c engine. The coachwork is by Mulliners(Birmingham) and was sold at a price of £450. The model was termed the "Sports Coupé". This model was a fixed-head coupé, of course, though it had large sliding roof. By curious coincidence, the mascot has just sold for the same sum, i.e. £450 (+ comm)!!