Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century New DHC - Filler Pipe Grommet

Beat Weibel

Daimler Conquest Century New DHC - Filler Pipe Grommet

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hello experts
This time, I have a bit a special question:

The grommet of the fuel filler pipe on the wing of my New DHC is starting to deteriorate and I would like to exchange it with a new one (picture attached) in order to avoid rubber parts falling into the fuel tank and eventually blocking the fuel intake.

Here is my question:
Can I mount the new grommet from "outside" after having taken away the old one (i.e. I Need to be able to expand it) or do I first have to take of the filler pipe from inside the boot?

Anll suggestions are welcome. I hope you don't find this question too silly.

Best regards
Beat
Filler pipe grommet.jpg
Filler pipe grommet.jpg (2.67 KiB) Viewed 2166 times
Source: John Nash's webshop

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler Conquest Century New DHC - Filler Pipe Grommet

Post by NickDeAth »

Hi Beat. The picture looks the same as a Consort grommet. I found it very difficult to fit, ( I was going to put it was a pig of a job but you might not have understood the English meaning). The only way I could find to do it was to pull the filler pipe up through the grommet, not easy as it was a very tight fit. Someone else with a Conquest may be able to advise you better.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Evening Beat
Sorry, but I have to agree with Nick (I don`t mean that I`m sorry I`m agreeing with Nick, but that the fact I am agreeing with him means that I`m sorry but replacing this gasket/seal is a far harder job than you would want!) I don`t know whether or not the repro grommets are not quite exactly to the same dimensions as the originals, but I think you will have to resign yourself to withdrawing the filler pipe, fitting the grommet over it, re-inserting, and then trying to get the new grommet to sit neatly around the hole in the wing without wrinkles, and then trying again, and then trying again!!!
All best wishes
Terry

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I am also interested in how to replace the grommet on a NDHC. The filler pipe is welded to the tank on this model (unlike the saloon) which makes manipulation more difficult. I am not sure whether or not the saloon grommet is the same as the one on the NDHC, certainly the filler cap is different being very similar to the SP250.

Mike

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Dear all
Thanks for your advice. It looks like it will be a hard job. Probably even for the old one to come out.
Best regards
Beat

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Just an idea:
What about cutting the new grommet, putting it around the filler pipe and glueing it together with a suitable glue?
BR
Beat

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Beat

I went to the North East Midlands Daimler and Lanchester get together in Brackenfield today. There were a couple of Conquest Century saloons there. I compared the grommet on these cars with the one on my DJ254 and they are not the same. I also checked a Daimler Special Sports and a Consort. The DJ254 one seems to be around 90mm diameter, the filler pipe is about 50mm. However I am not certain what the diameter of the hole in the panel is which it has to fit - i would need to remove the grommet to be certain. Vintage car parts https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/search?query=grommet seems to stock a range of sizes but I need to be sure which is the correct one (especially if they are tricky to fit. I wouldn't recommend cutting the grommet as fuel does seem to get on this area.

Mike
Attachments
IMG_0886 (2).JPG

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Today I exchanged the grommets. It was not such a hard job. I ordered the new grommet with vintagecarparts.co.uk Serial no. 869.B. The old one I just cut and was able to fit the new from outside with the help of a edgeless folding tool. Pictures are attached.

Old one
20170624_121418.jpg
Taken off
20170624_121937.jpg
20170624_121946.jpg
New one fitted
20170624_122513.jpg

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Well done Beat.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Well done. That`s showed up all us pessimists!!