Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 King Pins

clevitt

DB18 King Pins

Post by clevitt »

My Special Sports is feeling increasingly unstable at the front end, with the whole front of the car wobbling and shaking the steering wheel until the speed is reduced. Instigation is either at just below 50mph or at a lower speed if the wheel drops into a dip in the road. I've had the wheels balanced and swapped front to rear, which only marginally changed the speed at which the problem occurs.
I can detect some side to side free play on both front wheels, so am beginning to suspect the king pin bushes.
Advice from anybody who has done this work would be appreciated as I have to decide if I should do it now or just pump some more grease into the axle carrier in the hope that it will last out the season and I can tackle it more leisurely over the winter.

Many thanks,
Chris

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DB18 King Pins

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Chris,

Before you attack your car with spanners - jack up each front wheel in turn and check the play is not wheel bearings - i.e. is the play between the brake drum and backplate? Also is the tracking correct?

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

I would also check for play in the steering linkages and adjusting the steering box (I did take it down to the local friendly garage to help me check it out).
I managed to virtually eliminate a similar problem by doing that as well as those checks Stan has suggested.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Thanks Gents: I have already adjusted the wheel bearings and checked the track rods etc. , but not yet had the tracking checked. There is some play within the steering box, even with the adjusting screw fully down. My local garage prounced it " acceptable for a car of that age" .
This morning I removed the grease nipple and cap that sits on the top of the king pin and can see some movement when I rock the brake drum. So I am more and more suspicious that therein lies my problem, and would like to hear from anybody who has carried out king pin replacement and in a position to advise about potential pitfalls.
The car had a full go round with the grease gun this time last year and the problem did not start until September, and has worsened during my first two outings this year. My theory is that the grease is no longer filling the wear gap, hence my comment about pumping in some more grease.
The car is booked for Redhill on June 11th, so I do not want to start the work unless I am sure of completing the job by then.
Chris