Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Mk1 steering column adjustment

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Conquest Mk1 steering column adjustment

Post by Phillmore »

On my old and tatty Conquest Mk1 the steering column adjustment will not lock. I have adjusted the clamp lever so it is really tight to clamp but the steering wheel still moves backwards and forwards. Do I need a new part and in which case what part is faulty?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

qantasqf1

Re: Conquest Mk1 steering column adjustment

Post by qantasqf1 »

If it's like the DB18 the steering column is made of steel and the steering wheel yoke is of aluminium. Aluminium yields over time so it's almost certainly worn serrations in the steering wheel yoke that's the problem. This must be a fairly common problem with these old cars and I wonder whether other owners know of a fix without needing to replace the wheel.
Steve

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Yes it could be that Steve. It moves very smoothly through the range as though it hasn't tightened at all. As you say it must be a common problem with our cars with adjustable columns. You wouldn't think there should be much wear though as it generally wouldn't get adjusted that often?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

The locking mechanism is of the "over-centre" type when the adjusting lever is pushed home. Setting is made by screwing in the adjusting nut at the other end of the through-bolt. If the adjusting nut is fully home but the steering wheel is not sufficiently clamped, then check two things:

Firstly, is the adjusting nut bottoming on the through-bolt threads? If it is, then lengthen the threaded portion with an appropriate die.

Secondly, is the slot in the steering wheel boss closing up completely when clamped? If so, you will need to remove the steering wheel and carefully widen the slot by filing. This however will require removal of the trafficator swith stator tube, which is released by unscrewing from the bottom of the steering column.

However, given the amount of "use" the steering wheel adjustment receives, I do not believe either of the above remedies are necessary, unless someone has either bodged things in the past, or there is some wrongful assembly somewhere.

bakergh

Post by bakergh »

It will be the chrome clamping lever that is worn and unable to pinch the cut in the steering wheel together. Mine was the same until I was able to find a better secondhand one. There should be a cam profile where the retaining bolt goes through it. Mine was worn away.
Graham

Bonzodog

Post by Bonzodog »

I had the same problem with mine, ie non-clamping. In my case the issue seemed to be that someone had obviously struggled to adjust or remove the wheel (perhaps it had stuck on the splines) and had opened out the slot in the wheel boss (probably prised it apart with a screwdiver). Whatever you did it was impossible to apply enough force to close the slot up enough to clamp the column and I had to go with a "new" wheel. I will have a go tonight at measuring the slot width on my replacement wheel so you can judge whether you have the same problem.

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Same problem here. A less worn used steering wheel may be better, worth trying once all the other options mentioned above have been carried out.

Cheers

Geoff

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Is it only the Mk1 that has an adjustable steering column? My Mk2 doesn't.
Andy

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

As Graham mentioned it would appear that the cam on the adjuster pin has worn flat. There could be a combination of other problems as well but the worn cam is obviously contributory. The slit in the wheel is very closed but there is still daylight through it so I would suspect that with a better cam it would close up a bit. Anyone got a spare with a decent cam profile by any chance?
Andy

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Andy,

As far as I am aware only the Century had and adjustable column (and a larger steering wheel)

The strict Conquest had a smaller fixed wheel (subsequently fitted to the SP!!! The parts bin never empties.........)

Neil
Normal for Norfolk