Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Beat Weibel

Re: Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by Beat Weibel »

in this case I would assume that your "idling throttle" might be too high. I have the experience that with Daimler fluid flywheel cars that the idling speed is rather low compared to other cars e.g. 500 rpm only. If you have too high idling revs, the flywheel takes too much momentum and you can hardly stop the car or keep the car stopped. Even worse when your brakes are weak.

Of course you might need higher idling revs and to open the hand throttle to start the car. But as soon as it is running smoothly you should close the throttle (and the choke). Otherwise the car jumps forward or backward (in return gear) and cannot be stopped as outlined above because the flywheel transmits too much momentum.

Hope this helps
BR
Beat

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Beat,
Yes, this could also be the cause of the problem. The idling speed is, if I remember, 700-800 rpm. The car tries to go a little without adding throttle. I'll have to check and adjust this.
My problem is bad English. I did not understand the principle of this gearbox at the beginning of its use completely.
Thank you very much for your help and advice.

Suri

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

Have a look at You Tube. Put fluid flywheel in the search. Various videos come up but I don't know what language they will be in where you are. Do not confuse fluid flywheel with torque converter they are 2 different things.

Nick.
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

I've just looked at "Fluid Coupling - Principles of Operation 1953". There is a good demonstration about 2 minutes in.

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Nick,
thanks for the advice. Perhaps the best video I've found is this . So the theory is clear to me. Now comes the practice. :D
I buy a brake parachute, for sure. :D

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Here is the original workshop manual. The English is 'old' so it may be a little hard to read
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Graham,

thanks for this link. It is very clearly and comprehensively described there. It will be very useful for me.
Many thanks

Suri

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Today I tried it again. The idling speed is 500 rpm. The car stands against a slight slope. I select the second speed, press and release the change gear pedal, I release the brake and the car does not back off. On a straight road, it tends to move slowly. Does the oil density affect it? I do not know exactly what kind of oil I have in a liquid flywheel, but I think 15W40.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I always used a straight 30 oil in mine.

Dennis

suri2

Post by suri2 »

I will find out what oil I have and if necessary, replace it. Thanks.