Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by grahamemmett »

You are right to change it to a 30 grade but in real life it will work with any oil.

I've lost track of the problem now - is it still that you can't engage first gear?
If so, don't worry, just use second as the fluid flywheel enables you to get going in any gear. I never use first.
You can sort the linkages out over time. They are very tricky and very sensitive, it will drive you mad.

I'm sure somewhere along the line somebody has said to pump the gear change pedal in every gear to take up any adjustment. In my experience you need to do it 30 times in each gear but I remember reading in a manual you need to do it 100 times in each gear - which seems completely excessive but you never know.

Finally - have you changed the gearbox oil and flushed it?
I started a long debate on here a year ago as the Service Manual says to drain the gearbox, fill with 5 pints of paraffin, run the engine at tick over with the gearbox in neutral for 5 minutes. Then drain the paraffin and refill with 5 pints of 30 grade oil. This is to remove all the brake band deposits accumulated on the surfaces and free them up. If this isn't done then the bands don't grip.
I said 'Paraffin! That is crazy, I'll use a modern flushing oil' - but the debate was over the flushing oil not doing the job as well as paraffin and also some of it staying around after draining and contaminating the fresh gearbox oil. OK so I used paraffin to flush and then fresh oil.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Graham,
thanks for your advice.
I have not resolved the first speed engage. But as you write, I can live without it. I will solve this problem after the summer when I can not go on trips. Gearbox oil was replaced, but the gearbox was not flushed with paraffin. I'll try it too. That might help. It could also solve the weak reverse speed.
Now I am dealing with the problem of spontaneous drive at idle speed (second speed engage). They also told me from one car service that it was normal. Time will show. But I rather check the brakes.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Yes I have the same. If I start the car without first checking that it is in neutral, the car will move off. This has caused me to crash into my own garage door causing £1000 of damage - to the door, the Daimler didn’t have a scratch!
Make sure your handbrake is in great condition!
Northwich, Cheshire

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Or make sure you always start in neutral.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Too bloody right!
Northwich, Cheshire

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Concerning your “weak reverse gear”. From my own experience may I suggest you check the gear change pedal isn’t impeded from returning fully after it is pressed. Ranald

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Ranald,
Oh, another small problem, reverse speed. I have to check it out. Is the gear change pedal somehow adjustable or fine-tuned? At some speeds, and sometimes it happens, after the gear change pedal is released and a few meters away, the pedal is still jumps up by about 1cm. But it's not often.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi,
I tried to set slow running. Unfortunately, even at low rpm, car starts to run.
video link:

Something is wrong. Even at iddle speed I have to brake a lot so the car does stop.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

How are you checking what your idle speed is? The on-board tachometer could be inaccurate. Tickover speed should be 400rpm to avoid creep.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Andy,

Thank you for the advice. That's probably true. I did not think about it. I will try to use the external tachometer. It is true that rotations per internal tachometer fluctuate from 400 to 1000 rpm. When I shot the video, the tachometer shows 400 rpm, so I trusted him. I'm just a beginner and I'm grateful for every advice.