Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

suri2

Re: Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by suri2 »

Thank you for a helpful link. After reading, I decided to stay with a classic coolant. Thanks again and beautiful Christmas to all.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi all,
today I was drive about and in the stress I changed the speed when the clutch pedal was pressed. Can I damage the gearbox in such a careless use? Is it at least possible to choose neutral when the clutch is pressed? I still have little experience and I do not want to damage the gearbox.
Thank you very much for your advice.
Suri

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

FRONT TORSION BARS

This may not be relevant but I seem to remember that the Club had a special tool for adjusting these bars and it was loaned to members on payment of a deposit.

Dennis

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

THere is no clutch on the Daimler with the fluid flywheel what you think is a clutch pedal is the Gear Change Pedal.

Dennis

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Hi Dennis,
thank you for the warning. I apologize for the inaccuracies. I know it's not a clutch, I just wrote it badly. But can I damage the gearbox when changing the preselector setting when the gear change pedal is pressed?
Thank you for the setup tool info. I did not have time to fix it yet. Meanwhile, I have solved oil and brake leakage, stuffed radiator and other things.

Suri

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

I don't think that that is advisable as it may damage the gearbox. All you need to do is select the gear with the selector on the steering column and then press the gear change pedal down and release back up smartly. That is all I have ever done in some 50 years of driving with a Fluid Flywheel.

Dennis

suri2

Post by suri2 »

ah, maybe I'm doing something wrong. In a smooth ride I probably choose the speed correctly. I preselect speed, I press and release pedal . But if I must necessarily stop (for example a child on the road), I simultaneously push the brake and the gear change pedal at the same time. But this is how I get into a situation where I have a pressed gear change pedal and a preselect speed, whitch I do not want. So how quickly and correctly stop the vehicle?
Thanks

Suri

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

If you need to stop suddenly you only need to press the brake pedal not the gear change pedal.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Mark Bullen

Post by Mark Bullen »

Hi Suri
Try and find a manual which explains the operation and also how it works.
You can think of it like an automatic for stopping. You just brake and come to a standstill with your foot on the brake only. When you wish to carry on, then select a gear and depress the gear change pedal.
The car will quite happily idle, when in gear at a standstill, provided it has been correctly setup.
Hope this helps, it took me a couple of journeys to get the hang of it but now it feels really easy. The strangest time is when slow speed manoeuvring as you feel like you need to use it as clutch. However this is where it is like an automatic.
Mark

suri2

Post by suri2 »

ah, that's my fault. That makes sense then. I understand now. But my brakes will not stop the car, or not immediately. They have low efficiency. So I feel. So I'll still have to check the wheel brake cylinders or lining. The master brake cylinder is already repaired. I have the problem to brake the car even when the gear change pedal is pressed.
Thank you very much for your advice, I do not have much experience with this gearbox.
Many thanks

Suri