Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

suri2

Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by suri2 »

Dear gentlemen,
months ago I became the owner of the Daimler Conquest Century. Now I would like to ask for advice. My biggest problem is that the engine, transmission and differential oil flows. I need to replace the sealing rings (oil seals). Since I do not have my own workshop, I have to buy spare parts in advance before I can disassemble the engine and the gearbox. Some oil seals I bought on eBay, but some can not find anywhere. Do you know, dear gentlemen, the dimensions of these oil seals? This is mainly the output on the gear pedal and the rear output of the engine.
I have the second problem with the suspension of the car. The right front corner of the car is noticeably lower than the left corner. Is it possible to simply twist, turn, torsion spring? Or is the spring already tired? I wondered if something could be stuck somewhere. Has any of you solved a similar problem? Thank you very much for any help or advice. I am from the Czech Republic and here is very hard to buy Imperial parts. I am sorry for my bad English.
Jiri

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Daimler Conquest Century 1954

Post by theoldman »

Welcome to the Forum, Jiri.

I'll help as far as I can, but there will no doubt be others on the Forum who can supply further information.

The oil seals should hopefully be available from one of our usual suppliers, John Nash, David Beales or Derek Sleigh. Big Al, on this forum is quite an expert on oil seals and may well be able to help you further.

Regarding the suspension, the two torsion bars should "wear" at the same rate unless the previous driver weighed 200kg and the offside has "sunk" faster than the nearside!! A picture would help so we can see the difference in height.

I can send you the appropriate pages from the manual which tells you how to adjust them - and it's not easy.
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Dear Mr. Neil,
Thank you very much for your greetings for your help. I would greatly appreciate if you could send me instructions for adjusting torsion bars. My friend is a handsome car mechanic and maybe he can handle it.
I'll try to take a picture of the front, just what's going on.
I contacted Mr. Derek Sleigh on your advice, and we are now dealing with spare parts.
Thank you very much again. I am a beginner in this field and I do not have much information.
Is it real to buy somewhere a windshield from the side front window? Or will it have to be made new?
Thanks
Jiri
Attachments
windshield.jpg

suri2

Post by suri2 »

I attach a front view. The right side is visibly lower.
Attachments
frontview.jpg

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Yes, it looks like the torsion bar needs to be raised by a couple of inches (5cm) on the right hand side.

Send me an e mail via the forum with your address and I'll post the relevant pages from the manual for your mechanic. it's quite a complicated job.

The door window glass you will only get second hand. One from a Conquest, Conquest Century or Lanchester 14 will fit. John Nash will be favourite for this I would think, unless any of the other forum members have one lying about!! John is at enquiries(at)daimlerclub(dot)co(dot)uk. Please mention i have recommended you and he may well ask you to join the club to obtain the spares.

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

ps - it looks like it has the makings of a very nice car!!!! :P
Normal for Norfolk

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Dear gentlemen,
can you please advise me? I would like to add door mirrors to my car. Mirrors on the front fender are not very practical, I think. But I do not know what type of mirror to choose. Also, please advise how to mount the mirrors and not make any interventions in the car's design. Or with minimal interference. Do you have experience with installation and selection, please? I welcome every advice and every idea. Thank you very much and wish a beautiful day.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

HELP! HELP! HELP! Please, I have big problem. I can not choose reverse speed. When the pedal is released, the reversed speed is not selected. The pedal is return only a little. Not as normal. Forward speeds work correctly. It's very acute. At the weekend, we have a veteran meeting and races on the hill. My first :-) Please, help. Many Thanks for any advice. Jiri

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

Probably not a big problem. If the forward gears work then it may be that movement on the gear selector beside the steering wheel is not quite moving the selector arm on the gearbox far enough to operate reverse. I would try shortening one of the rods a little bit. The one that goes across the bulkhead behind the engine is probably the easiest. Unclip the ball joints at either end of the rod from their pins and lift the rod out. Undo the lock nut on one of the ball joints and screw the ball joint in one turn. Replace and see if that now works. Try shortening by one more turn if that doesn't work.

suri2

Post by suri2 »

Thank you very much for your advice. I'll try it tomorrow and write how it's done. We've read your posts. My reverse is quiete but weak. Maybe I have a problem like you. I wish you luck to solve the problem soon. Thanks