Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 cylinderhead

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: EL24 cylinderhead

Post by simonp »

I support use of the Fund on such projects partly because I helped create it in the good old days. Sadly we couldn't keep Gamlingay going but this would be good use of the funds that remained.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Surely the development and production costs can be recouped from the sale of the heads, so the Club Funds would be (eventually) replenished???
Normal for Norfolk

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

That should be the objective in all projects. DLOC just providing working capital.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

'Surely the development and production costs can be recouped from the sale of the heads, so the Club Funds would be (eventually) replenished???'

Unfortunately that is unlikely, at least in the short term. I've under 80 cars on the Register, perhaps a third of them are roadworthy. Price also puts people off - a new Rolls-Royce 20/25 head will cost you around £6000, but some folks seem to think that a couple of hundred quid is nearer the mark. So the number of people willing to buy a new head is probably less than 10. I've couched the business case in terms of investing in our cars future, but if the key thing is earning a return on any financial investment, the Club would be better off investing the money even at low rates rather than buying spares with it. What I'm really keen to avoid is the patterns being lost - if the Club buys them, at least we can cast new heads in the future if they are required.

Mark

tescaparts

Post by tescaparts »

Hello all,
here are the first pics of the 3D printed sandpattern.
Regards
Claudio
05656ACE-8D45-422D-B461-0E407038A28D.JPG
54B91476-A9E6-4B38-9144-2C5DB7E61399.JPG

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Wow, those patterns look amazing. It's fascinating try to work out how they all fit together.

Well done on making such good progress and the many hours you must have spent on this.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I don't see what model numbers on the membership role has to do with a project like this. I don't own an EL24 so I can say this without bias.

The one thing a good car club needs is all model support, that means models which were made in numbers sold in number and survive in numbers, together with rare breeds, should get support from all members. Membership will grow and enthusiasm for the mark will be increased if there is a solution to spares problems. Owners will join to get a supply.

Models like SP250 and V8 and V8 250 have a very good commercial supply and in the main don't need as much support from the club when it comes to spares, but they are not every ones cup of tea and many members prefer the older more staid models. Just because we don't need so much club support does not exclude us from the general appeal of the club. The higher the membership the lower the per member cost.

My point is that if the club only supports models which already have an ample supply of spares, the other models will be avoided by enthusiasts because of known faults and spares problems. If we allow this to happen, cars well worth restoring will be scrapped.

Do we really want some of these great cars to end up as parts just because there is no spares support?

I am all for supporting this project and hope that the board decides to do so. If they do, then it may well encourage others to bite the bullet and get other difficult to find parts made.

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Having spent the last few days back on my EL24 project I would like to think that my car one day will once again be
on the road. I really have no idea as to the state of the head but I certainly would support this project and be very
interested to even have a spare at hand if it was ever required.
My thoughts regarding club support is that it surely is to foster and promote interest in the cars and their preservation
into the future. The numbers are rather small and in possible danger of being very small if vital parts are not to be
had, this I think should be all the more reason to support the great work done by Claudio and others.

Ron

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

In my opinion, Syd and Ron represent the majority opinion of members in that the club should be investing in keeping rarer models on the road even if the financial return isn't there.
If only we had a modern membership system we could survey the entire membership for their opinion and use that information to inform and guide the board.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
There was a Board meeting on Thursday any news yet?
Regards
Colin