Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 cylinderhead

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Re: EL24 cylinderhead

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

The club will look at any proposal. If it feels that it can move a project forward by financial assistance it will use some of the clubs reserve to do that.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

May one ask how much is in the club's spares reserve?

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

It's probably best not to put on a public forum how much is in the clubs bank.

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Why not?

Surely the amount being displayed on the Forum would not give unauthorised persons access to the account.

After all the money belongs to the whole club not just to a Committee, who are entrusted to handle it by the membership.

Dennis

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Members can hazard what funds are available by looking in last year's accounts........................... :D

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I don't think the Club's reserves are specifically allocated to any purpose but they were largely created from the sale of the spares warehouse at Gamlingay together with various spares loans that members kindly gifted to the Club. From memory, and this was well over 20 years ago - about £80,000. I look back on it as a successful project, frustrating at times, which came to a natural end when the spares ran out and more importantly the customers for what was left dwindled.

The heroes were the members themselves who loaned well over £50,000 to the Club and then when offered repayment, well over 90% declined it and this is the basis of the reserves we have today. The only large repayment we made was the £10,000 that Jaguar loaned us. When I made repayment, the then Company Secretary Ken Edwards, said that he never expected to see it back! The company were hugely supportive in those days and we received an annual donation based on the number of members.

Sadly little of this was recorded in the 50th Anniversary book as it is a key success story in the Club's history.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Thank you Simon and Neil for Clarifying the issue. I well remember going over to the Stores at Gamlingay to collect spares in the 70s and 80s. The Stores man, I cannot recall his name, was remarkable he knew every part number and where to find it in the stores.

Towards the end I went over to get a window winding mechanism for a DB18 he let me go behind the counter and on the floor towards the back was a pile of winder mechanisms about 3 ft high.

Dennis

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

That would have been Arthur Armstrong. A lovely man in every way Dennis. The main source of parts was from Ben Mason when he retired. We paid £25,000 for all his stock - new and used and Jaguar helped us move it with numerous stillages.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Salmons
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Salmons »

Hello Simon,

You mention Ben Mason, that reminded me that in the mid 1970s I advertised a 3 Litre Empress for sale, someone came to view and I took him for a test drive, he loved it but on the return back to my house the gearbox just stopped dead.

Bill Kinns at Cranfield suggested I phone Mason's, I did, and they said bring the box in. We took seats and floor out and the box came out easily apart from weight.

I took it to Masons, on the North Circular and they repaired it within two weeks, the cost about £80. There were some beautiful cars in their yard.

She ran well after that and I sold it at the next National Rally .

Dennis

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Great story Dennis which says everything about Ben Mason. I used him when I had Majestic Majors and was living in Muswell Hill.

He kept many Daimlers going and had all sorts of high end customers from around the world. Personally he was also a London councillor and did a lot for the fire sevice. His partner in business died but he honoured their agreement by keeping on his wife who worked in the office - Mrs Rice.

SimonP