Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Grease is the word ?

Robdavies

Grease is the word ?

Post by Robdavies »

Hello gentlepeople, the chassis lubrication system on my 1937, 15 is totally shot. It is the earler road bump type, there for would not be very effective even if it were in A1 condition on silky smooth modern tarmac. It seems to me, though many may disagree that it was no more than a sales feature when new. As reconstruction and installation will be very costly, its effectiveness questionable and many of the wear issues encountered bare testiment to this, I am seriously considering replacing it with normal grease nipples. Under side greasing has to be done anyway so why not just include the chassis points in that regular process? I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and shared wisdom on this topic. Very best wishes, Rob.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: Grease is the word ?

Post by grahamemmett »

Yep. Most have been converted to standard grease nipples, so much cleaner!
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello Graham, thanks for your note, it seemed like a good idea, even though I want to keep it as standard as possible and would keep the under bonnet look of it by replacing the bottle pump. Any ideas on a good supplyer of said nipples ? I have a company name somewhere that has a good range, that is if I can still find it ... cheers.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I like this company for nuts and bolts. I've not had any reason to order their grease nipples but they do supply:
http://www.namrick.co.uk/acatalog/Home_ ... es_50.html
Northwich, Cheshire

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I've completely renewed the chassis lubrication systems on 2 P2 Rovers, most recently two winters ago. In both cases I have replaced the tubing with 4mm nylon piping. This has the advantage of not requiring separate flexible piping. Junctions can, if unseen, be plastic
push fit couplings or screw in alloy ones are readily available.
The more costly parts are the valves themselves. These are about £7 each. £30 will cover the piping and joints, £140 the valves. I've yet to have a pump that hasn't worked ok, that's been over another two Rovers and several Rileys. However, the pump parts are readily available.
Why bother? Well, on some cars -possibly not Daimlers and Lanchesters, the joints are designed to be constantly lubricated. Grease is not really a good substitute in any case. It doesn't move from where it's put, it collects dirt and can go solid.
Consider a steam engine. It survives for great lengths of time due to the constant loss lubrication system. Wear can be greatly reduced with continual lubrication and for that reason, along with Girling mechanical brakes, I think a 6 cylinder Rover will eventually join the fleet again to minimise maintenance work into my older age. The chassis lubrication system was no gimmick, it's all still manufactured today for commercial vehicles and industrial applications albeit with electric pumps. Rolls also used it with a foot operated pump system and many of the better quality American cars were fitted with the Bijur system, which is why some of the components are still available.

Robdavies

Post by Robdavies »

Hello Simon, thank you for your note, certainly something to chew over, I felt for a long time I'd try to keep it original in every way, then thinking about all the problems I encountered when stripping down the chassis, dreadful gunge in the pipes, cracks and breaks, it was quite depressing when compared with components that had used the more prosaic grease nipple. The other issue I was reflectin on was the effect of low usage, I know the pipes need priming or they don't function, having spent a million hours fixing her up I really want to use her but there's bound to be periods of idleness and perhaps a well packed bearing would cope better than the oil system. Anyway thank you for taking the time to write, I certainly appreciate it, best wishes Rob.

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

That's very kind of you, Rob, food for thought is the intention ! Just on the priming point, there should be an accessible nipple placed somewhere in the system, near the supply line from the pump, A grease gun filled with oil can then be used to both prime the system or give the whole system a "one shot" oiling. Good luck with whatever route you choose !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I've just completely revamped the entire front suspension on my DB18, Gladys, whose self-oiling system was removed many years ago, probably in the 1970s. I can absolutely concur with Simon that the grease can set hard as much of mine was - blocking supposed routes for lubrication particularly to the bottom swivel bearings and the king pins which had led to the breakdown of the hardened steel surfaces.
I've no choice but to keep the grease nipples but will pay much more attention to the penetration of the grease when I use the grease gun.
Northwich, Cheshire

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

My usual late contribution to any discussion - apologies to all.

Does anyone else use Castrol CL grease? I've used it for many years, probably decades really, on my SP and Dauphin (MkI DJ256), the latter which came to me with grease nipples fitted. I try to do the front suspension, steering, rear hubs, handbrake cable and prop shaft regularly once a year, but sometimes twice, ideally in the autumn and the spring. I was advised to use CL by my very good friend, RR trained engineer and current DLOC West of Scotland Branch Secretary Hamish Dickie, because it is semi fluid and is more clingy,"creepy" and water repellant than LM and other high temp greases and therefore better for chassis applications. I've yet to find evidence that it is not well suited to such use over long timescales. I'm told that it is becoming more difficult to find however.

Regards

Geoff

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

It's still available from Castrol if you Google it however other sites are saying it has been discontinued?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster