Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB 18 (1947) towing a vintage caravan?

Brunobaer

Re: DB 18 (1947) towing a vintage caravan?

Post by Brunobaer »

In a DE 27 or DE 36 I would be the driving servant and my dog on the rear set would be the master......

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I was at the Riley RM club national rally last month and there were at least half a dozen people towing caravans with their RMBs and RMFs. There were also a few towing with their RMCs, the roadster.

Although I don't tow with mine, there's no shortage of power with a 2 1/2 litre. Heavy steering at low speeds is their only real driving drawback although probably a caravan on the back would cure that !

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

Hi Brian having towed many things from vintage vans to modern to very large yachts I have a couple of thoughts regarding the caravan sway. Generally sway is caused by a combination of how a caravan is loaded and it's design. The length of the wheel base of the tow vehicle can help but sway is all about mass and stability. If there is weight either up high or behind the back axle of caravan this will decrease stability. Weight in front of axle and longer draw bar will increase it. A stiff rear suspension in tow vehicle will increase stability. Worn bushes will enable the rear suspension to twist and will decrease stability.
So a good suspension with new bushes and stiffer shocks in tow vehicle. And put enough weight in front of van so it has good down pressure on coupling. So in your case 60 kilos would be good. I also strongly recommend electric brakes in caravan from a safety perspective in modern traffic Cheers H

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Here's a nice combination
IMG_0187.JPG
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Brunobaer

Post by Brunobaer »

That is really a nice combination.
Have decided not to buy a DB 18 as it is too slow.
Overnext monday after Beaulieu auto jumble I am going to have a look at a Bentley MK6, an Alvis TA21 and a Riley RMB.
Hope, one of them will suite....

Would like to mpost a picture of my Wolseley/Eccles combination, but I am not able to (beeing as oldfashioned as my cars.... ;)