Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB 18 (1947) towing a vintage caravan?

Brunobaer

DB 18 (1947) towing a vintage caravan?

Post by Brunobaer »

Hello,

I have a vintage camping team (Wolseley 14/56 (56 horsepowers) from 1936 and Eccles caravan from 1932) wich gives me much joy; the problem is that with an max. average speed of 40-45 mph (lack of power and the caravan begins to swing) the highways are a no-go-area for me and for long distances I have to drive on country roads what takes too much time and is quite hard work.

I consider buying a Daimler DB 18 (1947), hoping for the increase of power and speed I need.

What do you think, is the Daimler DB 18 strong enough to hold an average speed of 50-55 mph with the caravan (wheight only 600kg, but 2,30m high) on the highways so I can drive even longer holiday trips?

Would there be technical problems to fit a towbar (no space to fix it to the frame)?

If not, I would try to find a Bentley MK VI, but these cars are a differt price-class and I hope, the Daimler would be a good compromise between power, price and beiing not too posh (as a Bentley would be).

Regards from germany
Brian

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Re: DB 18 (1947) towing a vintage caravan?

Post by grahamemmett »

Hello Brian

I'm certain that the chassis would take a tow bar and as the car weighs 1.65 tonnes it can cope with the weight of the caravan so the fish-tailing you currently expeience would be reduced.

However I have serious reservations about the real world ability of a DB18 to cope with the conditions you describe. My own 1948 DB18 has a sound engine but is unhappy cruising over 55mph by itself so I think it would struggle with a caravan behind.
Plus it only has rod operated brakes which are not the best (and that's being kind). The later DB18 Consort (from 1951) has hydraulic front brakes with twin leading shoes which is a massive improvement.
In my opinion you'd be better considering the mid-50s Conquest Century which has both the power and brakes you need although this may not suit you as it's from an altogether different era to the caravan.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Brunobaer

Post by Brunobaer »

Hi Graham,

thanks for your reply.

I already suspected what you say, and I come to the conclusion, that driving a historic caravan team that copes with modern traffic and highway speed means to search in the area of cars with big engines in the region more than 3 litres.

What a pity, I like the Daimler DB 18 and the prices they are sold are big value for money.

Now I am trying to force my search to find a good Bentley MK6.

Regards from german baltic sea
Brian

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Brunobaer wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:24 am Now I am trying to force my search to find a good Bentley MK6.

Regards from german baltic sea
Brian
Try a Daimler Majestic Major or a Sovereign, and stay in touch with this forum. Good luck.

Brunobaer

Post by Brunobaer »

Well, but I am keen on the prewar-design, post-war doesn' t suite to the Eccles caravan.

I have already a Volvo PV544 as a more modern surrogate- it is not satisfying.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Isn't the Bentley Mk6 a post war car?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Brunobaer

Post by Brunobaer »

You are right- but it looks like being prewar.... :D
Its is the same with the design of the Daimler DB 18- more located in the 30ies although being post war.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I think something like a Conquest wouldn't look out of place pulling a 30s caravan and it would have the power and brakes you need as Graham suggests. Daimlers tended to look a little old fashioned for their age and would certainly look more "traditional" than the Volvo in my opinion.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

This is what you want, a Daimler double six 1932:
32_Daimler_Double-Six_Sprt_Sln_DV-06-MDB_001.jpg
source http://www.conceptcarz.com/images/Daiml ... DB_001.jpg

But I can't find one for sale at the moment - they are rare :D

A DE27 or DE36 might be more easily obtained, post war but looking pre war:
1947_Daimler_DE36_Limousine_Landaulette.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daimler_DE

Brunobaer

Post by Brunobaer »

would be worth considering.......for little money.....only in good order...... ;)

The Conquest is too much 50ies style, although I like it. For example a Riley RMB would suite as it has the 30ies look (and a very elegant one) and a powerful engine; that is the compromise between oldfashioned design and modern engine what I am looking for.