Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DJ254 rear brakes

Crossley Stephenson

DJ254 rear brakes

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

OK, here goes......leaving myself open to the sound of laughter.

A couple of years ago I dismantled the rear brakes (and everything else), now I am re-assembling. I have everything back in place following the manual (I think,it's a poor photocopy), including making sure the expander is free to move for centralisation, but I can't get the drum(s) back on. They came of so they must go back on but what am I doing wrong?

I have attached a photo, rear drivers side.

Help!
Michael

Crossley Stephenson

Re: DJ254 rear brakes

The photo!
Attachments
IMG_2457.JPG

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Difficult to say as photo not quite central to hub but try knocking top shoe to the left a bit and keep tweaking the positions of both shoes until the drum goes on.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

I meant to ask, have new linings been fitted?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Crossley Stephenson

Thanks Andy. No new linings, just cleaned them up. Have tried tapping with a small rubber mallet to centralise but still no luck.

Michael

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

Is wheel cylinder piston fully compressed? Try a bit of pressure with bleed screw slightly slackened.
Andy

Crossley Stephenson

Thevreats ate mechanical.

Michael

Crossley Stephenson

That should have bee ' the rears are mechanical'

Oh the excitement.
Michael

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

It's obvious, it 's all too clean to fit together. Daimlers are designed to work best when oily, filthy and thoroughly neglected.
Look at this springs, almost shiny: ugh!!!!!
PG

Simon Hyslop

Post by Simon Hyslop »

I appreciate you have a manual but the thing I would check as it is sometimes inadequately shown in diagrams is the orientation of the brake adjuster plungers. If they are put back the wrong way round they will not fully retract leaving the shoes further out than they should be.

I'm on holiday at present (being cooked in Sorrento having a break from cars) so can't show you a picture of how they should go but if you've just had one side apart, try the plungers in the opposite way as they are not the same. Both sides apart make a few more permutations possible !

As Ernie Wise might have said, I've looked up "wot I writ" before and under " DE36 brakes" you'll find a description of how the adjusters fit. Hope it is this as it's an easy fix.

I've just looked again at your picture and I'd say they look wrong. The angles and distances should be the same top and bottom and yours don't seem to be.