Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DE27/36 battery

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

DE27/36 battery

Post by New Dexter »

Looking at the driver's handbook it states that these cars should have two 6V batteries yet mine has one 12V battery.
The handbook adds that they should be 110AH and then 20A.
Now modern batteries have different specifications. What battery should these cars have or does one just guess?
There is a battery in the car but it is not working and would need to be replaced. 95AH and 800A CCA seem to be on the battery body. The compression on these cars is not too great but I believe in having sufficient battery capacity
Does anyone have any suggestions or does no-one on this forum own a DE model?

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: DE27/36 battery

Post by theoldman »

If you want to "play safe", get a battery for the XJ series - they have plenty of "oomph"!!!
Normal for Norfolk

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi there,

One of our members with a DH 27 uses two six volt batteries in series but I have always used a heavy duty 12volt battery in my car (DE36). the only consideration was to make sure that the battery terminals were on the correct side and did not foul the floor of the car once the terminals were attached.

Nothing special about the battery I use, just that it is a heavy duty one, often seen in four wheel drives and larger cars.

Has been good for years and the car only has very limited use so the switch under the near side dashboard to isolate the battery does seem to work and be a good idea to use.

Cheers
Peter Grant

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

It is almost impossible to replace an old battery with something original, so I measure the space I have got taking particular note of the position and type of the connection posts, then I look for the highest amp hour AH rated battery I can get to fit, you cannot have to much AH. Syd

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Gentlemen. Thank you for your comprehensive replies The current battery is 95AH and 800 amps which should start most things. I do understand that modern batteries might not correlate with old nomenclature. However, I still don't understand why my car would have had two six volt batteries when there is clearly room for one large 12V one.

On the subject of buying a very large battery. I had thought the same but one battery supplier did warn me that while it sounds like a good idea to go for the biggest that will fit it was a case of whether the charging system would cope once the battery was depleted. Now the DE36s don't have a vast amount of electrical kit. Just front and rear marker lights, a headlamp or two and pass lamps. It's not like modern cars with electrical everything. It would be the starter motor that would be the biggest user of power and one would imagine that an 800 amp CCA battery should be able to cope with that.

I have looked up various batteries of the output I have mentioned and I think it's a question of finding which one will fit both in the carrier and making sure it's not too tall.