Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 head removal

John Hitchins
Site Admin

DB18 head removal

Post by John Hitchins »

Following my failed stuck valve saga I have stripped the head ready for removal and it is stuck hard.
There are no real lifting points to use a hoist to lift or assist with a little leverage does anyone have any ideas to unstick this stubborn item please? The studs are still in as there is not enough thread to use the double nut trick to remove them.
Thanks
John

Warsash 2

Re: DB18 head removal

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi John
Leave some nuts loosely on the studs. then turn the engine over and the compression should free the head. This was method used in the 50's and 60's. head should just pop up.
Hope it works.
Regards

Colin

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Cheers Colin, will try the weekend.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I don't know the DB18 engine, but can I assume it has an alloy head - as what you describe is not an uncommon problem if you have, and/or there is the possibility some joker has "glued" the head on by coating the gasket with some muck-stuff-rubbish last time the engine was assembled.

So firstly, if the advice in the last post fails, soak around the studs with a good penetrating oil, and keep repeating often - even for a few days. Then try making up a couple of brackets to bolt onto the rocker shaft studs in the head - I'm sure the DB18 engine has them(?) - which will afford you a "pull".

Come back after you have tried that - but avoid the temptation to bash screwdrivers etc. between the head and block.

Stan.
P.S.
Years ago you could buy very thin-wall tube "cutters" which you screwed down over the cylinder head studs to clear any corrosion, but I don't know who might have them now.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Cheers Stan, back on the car tomorrow. I hope the rocker studs strong enough but easy to replace if break.

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Should be OK John, we always do that to get the heads off our diesel locos!!!!! :D
Normal for Norfolk