Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DJ Paint and Speedo

Bonzodog

DJ Paint and Speedo

Post by Bonzodog »

1956 Conquest Century

First thing I noticed was the very impressive paintwork - just shows what a smart car these Conquests are.

Second thing I noticed was the 120mph speedometer - I am sure I have only ever seen 100mph speedos in Conquest saloons (75 or 100hp). I know the roadster had a 120mph dial but when did these start being fitted in saloons?

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: DJ Paint and Speedo

Post by Phillmore »

On what models were the rimbellishers fitted? were they optional extras?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

Re the 120 mph speedometer, I don't know if they were ever standard on the MkII Century with the black AC gauges. If not then it is possible that the one in this car is a retro-fit for some reason.

Ace Rimbellishers were an option - my first 1955 strict Conquest MkI had them when I bought it; I wish I'd kept them because they are quite rare. They're concave in section, not convex as so many later examples are, and very elegant. They're held in place by hooked retainers fitted from the inside of the wheel through the rim ventilation holes rather than the spiky retention ring of the convex embellishers. Lately a larger size of embellisher has appeared on the scene which extends over the outer edge of the wheel rim, thereby concealing any balance weights, rather than just covering the inner flat part of the rim. I think it is these that are fitted to the car inthe video clip, they look larger than other types.

I don't think that rim embellishers, not including full wheel discs, were ever standard on any post-war Daimler or Lanchester model, although I stand to be corrected on that.

Cheers

Geoff

Keith Ashworth

Post by Keith Ashworth »

I didn't see any 120mph speedometer. I would think a 104 may have a black one as my Regency Sportsman has one in white.
I did notice the ugly stone guard though.
Didn't think they were ever fitted. I know the Consort had rubber ones and I made a pair for my DB18 in stainless.
I think the interior is superb though. The later cars had the nicer veneers I think.
Keith

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Bonzodog wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:38 pm

1956 Conquest Century
Note: you can embed a video using the tag at the right end above a post window: