Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Fluid Flywheel Oil Leaks

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Fluid Flywheel Oil Leaks

Post by Peter Grant »

Now, far be it from me to suggest that some of our Daimlers and Lanchesters may suffer from some unsightly oil leaks from the fluid flywheel, but I was interested to read in a back issue of the Driving Member that a Special Sports owner had fitted a little drip tray under the flywheel to catch those pesky oil drops and to save driveways and forecourts from the otherwise inevitable drips and drops.

Has anyone successfully fitted one to their car and could they post a photo or two to show how it is best done?

I know some will say the best thing to do is to just fix the leak but we all know the job is not an easy one and if a drip tray can easily be fitted then it could forestall the inevitable a little longer.

Hope someone can help.

Cheers
Peter Grant
Sydney Australia.

Crossley Stephenson

Re: Fluid Flywheel Oil Leaks

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Like an incontinence pad for Daimlers?

Michael

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Michael,
I suppose more like a suspended drip tray that could be drained every once in a while. It would just save those irritating oil drips along nice clean surfaces.
For example I find that after I fill the flywheel, if I then reverse there is a dribble of oil following the car, and no, I don't overfill the flywheel.
Ideally the tray would be suspended below the rear lip of the bell housing, which is where the oil seems to gather then drip.
When I have the car parked on the drive I place a large plastic drip tray under it and there is usually a dessert spoon of oil under it after an hour or so. Fine if the car is on gravel or the road but a pain to clean up afterwards from a drive way.
So more like a chastity belt than an incontinence pad!
Cheers
Peter
:D :D :D

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Yes good idea, E'r indoors does get a bit "testy" if I our Block pave drive gets oil on it.
Course, it may not always be the Fluid Flywheel that's the culprit, since I rebuilt my engine, albeit a different one that I overhauled, I do get a "Drip" or Two .
I can see that it's not coming from the Flywheel as it had a new seal fitted , so it must be the rear Main leaking slightly, so in conclusion, a Drip Tray of some sort would be a very good idea, and "Old A'l just "may" be prevented from getting his Ears burnt !!!!!! Ha, ha.

Cheers A'l :lol: :lol:

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I'm surprised that fluid flywheel leak symptoms are not reported more often on the Forum. My very first Conquest, a reasonably good 1955 example, HRG 878, bought for £18.00 in 1969 when I was a student, had the embarrassing habit of filling the inside with oil smoke when driving uphill. Investigation revealed that oil dripped out of the orifice in the bellhousing directly above the exhaust pipe. It also left oil spots on the road/driveway too. I eventually had the oil seal replaced by the Aberdeen branch of the Scottish Daimler agent Rossleigh; They still had a Daimler trained mechanic in those days, long after the Jaguar takeover, and when I got the car back the gearbox had the sweetest quality of operation that I've ever experienced, smooth, light and effective.

Cheers

Geoff