Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Conquest Century MK1 Engine strip down and rebuild

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Conquest Century MK1 Engine strip down and rebuild

Post by HenryC »

I am start to strip down a MK1 Conquest Century engine with the intention of rebuilding it for my DJ252.

I have a complete but seized engine of unknown mileage and condition. It has obviously sat around for a long time as it's quite rusty and corroded. I have taken the head off and the wear in the bores does not seem excessive so I am going to continue dismantling it, hoping that it won't need a rebore or regrind.

It would appear that the pistons are rusted into the cylinders causing the seizure. I need to get the crankshaft out, to get at the pistons. Once I have the pistons out I can lightly hone the bore and see if anything extra needs doing.

First problem: How do I get the 'V' pulley and damper off the end of the crankshaft. I have undone the claw nut (starting handle dog) but neither of the other parts want to move. I assume I need a puller - is it best to make one up to fit the six bolts that appear to hold the whole pulley / damper assembly together.

Any suggestions?
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Conquest Century MK1 Engine strip down and rebuild

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Henry, just stripped a spare LA11 Engine , the Pistons were also seized absolutely solid,so had to remove the Crankshaft first, and anyway it’s always best to remove and refit the Pistons with the Crankshaft removed.
. I soaked the Pistons for a couple of months, tried heating them with a Blow Lamp,
ended up literally beating them down through the bores with a large Lump Hammer!!!
You could try heating up the Vibration Damper and then soaking it with some penetrating oil , hopefully you may be able to get it to move using a large Three Legged Puller .
Here are some pictures of the engine that I stripped, I also “Honed”the bores, as this Engine has only been rebored once in its life, and is only out to + 0.020” oversize, so has plenty of “life” left in it, and as you can see, the Bores look to be in pretty good condition with only very minimal wear, perhaps one could get away with just fitting a new set of +0.020” Pistons ??
I have since lightly re-assembled the Engine, as I do not actually need it ,as I have only recently overhauled the engine in my car 🚗

Incidentally, it could be for sale for a reasonable price if anybody wants it. !

Tel 01935-430168. Yeovil Somerset
Or 07713-673230
7D619759-A2D4-4E13-92AF-9585679C6849.jpeg
FD561108-104D-445A-AC7D-4083ABBD91B1.jpeg
D03399E9-B6ED-4A88-8B96-42CA78952684.jpeg
19D3DCDC-E4D2-4720-BBA3-96ED316DD639.jpeg
Cheers A’l. :D :D

Ps Those broken off studs have been carefull drilled out and the threads tapped out and are all good .

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Thanks Al,

I had read your earlier posts and hope not to have the same problems as you did. Thanks for that post, it has helped me plan.

Conquest pistons have to be removed up the bore, so I do need to get the crank out, to be able to push them out. Unfortunately 2 of them are at BDC so even taking the big end caps off won't allow the crank to turn more than a few degrees.
Cheers, Henry Curwen

swcoulthurst

Post by swcoulthurst »

Hi Al.

Just picked up on the post.
What sort of cost are you looking for the engine.
I also have one thats really badly seized.
Tried everything so far including the BIG hammer. Actually damaged a piston tring to get it out
20170830_190133_resized.jpg
even this didnt help !!

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Quick update, In the end the pulley and damper came off quite easily using a puller. Doh.

I'll be a bit more patient before asking basic questions next time!!
Cheers, Henry Curwen

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Stuart, only just picked up this thread,as for the value of the “Eleven” engine, I’m not really certain but open to sensible offers.
Perhaps someone on here would be able to advise ??

Cheers A’l :D

Ps The Engine came minus its cylinder head , so really it’s a ,Short Engine” but I do have a spare head that needs work.