Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

The problem with Majestic Major restoration

JDB

The problem with Majestic Major restoration

Post by JDB »

I recently started up the engine on my project MM car (first time in my ownership) and in consequence, noticed the petrol reserve valve was not operating. I had already fixed the valve a couple of years ago and refitted it, however in the intervening time it must have seized again, so I decided it was worth looking on-line to see how much a replacement would be. I discovered this page - http://www.fourashesgarage.co.uk/index. ... &cID=58763 - where they are available for the starting price of £400! Now if you are restoring an Aston Martin DB4, such a cost would be swallowed up by the car's market value, but when your car is an MM it just makes you realise how much the car is worth as components and how much less work it would be to take it apart and sell it, rather than restore it.
Needless to say I resisted the temptation to list everything of value on ebay, and also decided fixing the original valve again was a more realistic prospect than replacing it.
JB

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: The problem with Majestic Major restoration

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The basic Lucas Fuel Reserve valve (minus the pick-up tubes) is the same as that fitted to the SP250. Laurence Jones posted a few years ago that he had a source who would recondition them for £50. Might be worth contacting Laurence; I believe that these days he only frequents the Daimler SP250 Owners Club forum
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

JDB

Post by JDB »

Thanks for the reply Nick, I've got it working again now. There's a little moving core which is activated when a current is passed through the outer coil, the core sits in a close fitting tube and quickly becomes seized therein. You have to strip the whole thing down to get at it but it's not too tricky. The problem is that it will almost seize again in the future.
Current problem is the fuel sender which appears to work in the opposite direction to the alternative (land rover) one I have kicking around, ie Daimler one resistance goes up as fuel does, whereas land rover resistance goes up as fuel goes down. I may have to fix the original one of them as well.
JB

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

I guess the answer is to operate the switch from time to time. I have used mine in the SP 250 maybe only half a dozen times in the last 30 years but have had problems with the pipes and holes therein and obtained new ones from Lawrence.

An extremely worthwhile device and would be good if they fitted them again on modern cars.

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!