Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Empress being Banger raced ?

Barrie

Re: Empress being Banger raced ?

Post by Barrie »

Some boys just like destroying their toys.
I skimmed through the video and saw a Majestic Major limousine being destroyed..................
So depressing to see such a range of 1960s cars being trashed.

This is a complete antidote from boys who take more pride in their possessions.

Well worth looking at the whole thing to see a terrific achievement but if you're in a hurry the action really kicks of at about 14mins and then it goes all banger racing about 16:20.
(Best to use full screen!)

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

My viewpoint. There is something quite wrong with the mental attitude of these people. Certainly we are all allowed to do whatever we wish to do provided it is a) legal and b) unlikely to hurt anyone but what is the point of destroying something simply because they can?
I watched one of these prat performances 30 years ago and it was on the television simply because a "super prat" was entering a Rolls Royce Shadow.
Last year I was informed that some of these ***** (fill in your own letters) were prepared to pay up to ยฃ1000 for a BMC Farina model just so they could enter this rubbish. I have NEVER seen the point of this racing

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Just loved the circuit racing, could have stayed up all night watching it, but sadly time for bed!,
More tomorrow !!๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿค—๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

Thanks Big Bad Aโ€™l ๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜€

JDB

Post by JDB »

I think the "why do they do it?" is answered by this thread's number of views - 600 odd; people are fascinated by this kind of destruction, love it or hate it you'll watch it. I guess it's the literal definition of "car crash TV"

Is it a worse end than being buried under a rockery?

JB

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

I guess to put this into proportion, when I were a lad, money was tight, we bought 1930's cars that today would be worth a few thou and ran them till they were finished then sold them to a scrap yard and bought another.

I had several, they were always very ripe when we bought them and we never spent more than ยฃ25, we nursed them along for as long as we could make them work, Ford tens Austin sevens Morris eights and tens even an Armstrong, we bought second hand parts and tyres from scrap yards and learned a lot about the mechanics of them.

Of course we were not hog tied by an MOT and we did take chances with tyres etc, which motorists today would go to jail for.

We "did not race them of course" but we did give them a hard time, just as lads with their Corsa's do today.

O lot of cars which today would be worth restoring went to the scrap yard in those days.

Much as I hate to see good cars go to waste, it is not so easy for young folks and older little boys to dash about in old bangers and let off steam like we did, I guess it is as well they do it on the banger racing circuits and not on the road. Syd

daimlerlover

Post by daimlerlover »

It is such a shame to see these cars being banger raced. The two Jaguar XJs shown early in the video look to be in much better condition bodily than the Daimler Double Six Vanden Plas I have almost completed restoring was when I first acquired it. As for the several Farina A60s/A99/A110s being raced, these are rare cars now and it is thanks to the banger racing fraternity that there are so few of these left. The Empress looks far too good to be raced. Some good cars are stolen and end their lives on then banger circuit, rendered untraceable by their owners. We are endlessly informed that cars which are raced are beyond viable restoration, but this is in many if not most cases utter nonsense. Perfectly restorable cars are removed from circulation and denied to future enthusiasts.

However, as enthusiasts we need to be more proactive in ensuring that cars at risk of being raced find good homes. I have read several accounts which relate how sellers are messed about by so called 'enthusiasts' expecting pristine, roadworthy vehicles when what has been clearly advertised is a project car. Sometimes the banger boys are the only people ready to stump up the cash.

I would suggest that some kind of legislation is needed to prevent the destruction of increasingly rare vehicles.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

I posted last year about the banger racers who would pay up to ยฃ1000 for a Farina as it would be a strong car for such stupidity.

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

I had a look at these Stan Woods videos and they have in 2017 and 2018 destroyed 2 Daimler Empresses a Green one and a Black one. And numerous other rare old Daimlers. I can't believe that in the UK such morons have no respect. Sad because when they are gone they are gone. And there were not too many to start with.