Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Indicator switch/horn push -Special Sports

terryfrombury

Re: Indicator switch/horn push -Special Sports

Post by terryfrombury »

Just shows that this is a forum populated by gentlemen. I am very grateful to Steve and Chris for their offers. I`ve e-mailed Steve, and Chris - many thanks for the offer, but looking at the photo of your part and comparing it with the rest of the unit I regret that it doesn`t look as though it would fit.
Thanks to everyone for the help and comments, and advanced best wishes for Christmas and for 2018.
Terry from Bury

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, can anybody advise how I can centralise the position for cancelling the the indicators.
When turning Right, the Trafficator always seem to return too early, I noticed in one of the previous threads the Chrome Screw that retains the cancelling device.
Is it just a case of moving the Direction selector switch to ‘ say Turn Right then slackening the Screw and turning the Steering Wheel slightly to reposition the “ Tripping” mechanism ?

Cheers A’l :D

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hey listen, I think I`ve shown I`m no expert on this subject, but I don`t think it`s quite so easy to alter the cancelling position, A`l. In the first place, it would depend upon the type of Lucas kit you have on your car. The photos in previous posts show that there are significant differences between them. The photos that Chris posted show a cancelling ring that is locked to the steering wheel. Mine show a cancelling ring which is moved by a lug in the steering wheel hub - but is not screwed to it. Personally - and I am very open to correction - I think that to alter the cancelling position you have to withdraw the horn push/indicator switch from the steering wheel hub, particularly in "my" type. If you look at the lower photo in my earlier post you can see the part that locates on the lug in the wheel hub, and below is a picture of that lug (the photo is sideways on, so the lug is on the right). It is part of a ring which rotates (with a bit of effort!) inside the wheel hub. So to centralise it, you remove the horn push etc, make sure that the steering is set dead ahead, slacken the chrome screw, and then move that ring so that the lug is at the absolute top. Hope this helps.
Terry
DSC_0093.JPG
Last edited by terryfrombury on Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

If you have the type of ring in my photo, I would check that, with it place in the steering wheel hub, the ring rotates freely within the limits of the slot. I found that mine needed lubrication in order to rotate freely.
Hopefully this photo shows better how it is installed in the steering wheel: with the front wheels centred , the hole in the steering wheel, through which the chrome screw goes, is at 6 o'clock , and the lug that does the cancelling should be able to rotate between 10 and 2 o'clock.
That said, I am somewhat disappointed at the frequency of times when the cancelling does not work, and would therefore be interested in other member's experience, and if there is any way of improvement?
image.jpeg
Chris

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi chaps, well I do happen to have a couple of spare Steering Box’s in stock, so when I have time, I take a l@@ k inside the Boss of one of those , before attempting to mess with the one on my Lanchester.

Cheers A’l :D :D
Last edited by JT7196 on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

x

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Just thought I should formally thank Steve for the cancelling ring. It`s now fitted, and in the workshop it seems to be working well - cancelling after every turn. Hopefully this will prove to be the case in real life, but until they`ve stopped salting the Cheshire roads, I`m keeping the Special Sports inside and warm!
Thanks again, Steve.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Thanks Terry. Hope it eases the pain of the Ashes....