Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Post by Norfolk Lad »

MY Amazon link will take you to a supplier in India not sure of cost compared to UK, but there must be other suppliers in India as things with lawn mower type engines also take SAE30.

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

I drained the old oil in the fluid flywheel, washed down with petrol and blow dried the chamber using a blower. When dry filled it with 5W 30 semi synthetic oil, this was the nearest to SAE 30. The rear wheel was jacked up and tested on all gears. It seemed ok on all gears except that when shifting from 1st to neutral the wheel became stationary. This puzzle could not be resolved. The car was jacked down and tested in the drive way. The first was not slipping but had fierce take up. and the engine was stalling. This was adjusted as in page 17 of Daimler publication "Fluid flywheel and Epicyclic Gearbox". The performance was much better the car reached her parking position but ran out of petrol after all the testing. Now the major testing on the road will be after filling up dayafter tomorrow. I think the situation is under control will know the condition only after the run.
But I have the following questions in my mind
1.Since the floor covers are not yet fitted is there any thing I should check or do?
2. I was always keeping the oil level in gear box 1/2 way level on the dipstik to avoid leaking does this cause any issues on lubrication?
3.The gear engage peddle does not return as much as it does on 1.2.3 gears but works OK is this an issue?
I am keeping my fingers crossed for the test run.
Look forward for any suggestion.
Thank you all for reading.
'Consort' in India is really a loaner, mechanics refuse to touch and paid drivers refuse to drive as it needs lot of concentration while at the wheel.
Cheers Ramanna :? :?:

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ramanna, keeping the Gearbox Oil up to its correct level on the Dipstick should not creat on leakage problems, and yes it is quite “Normal” for the Gear change Pedal to return to a different height when Nutral is selected .

Best wishes A’l :D

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

I cannot find SAE30 mono grade oil in Bangalore. So I used semi Synthetic 5W 30 oil in fly wheel assuming it should work. The car starts. Engine does not go off. When Ist gear is engaged and the car moves. However car does not move when changed to 2nd and and other gears. The engine does not go off but there is no power to the wheels. All looks OK when one wheel is jacked up, and all the gears work and the RPM of the wheel changes as the gear is changed. Do you think the flywheel oil is the problem? The viscosity of SAE30 is listed as 97 should I look for similar viscosity oil? Sorry I posted this at a wrong place earlier. Ramanna

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Yes wrong oil we all keep saying SAE3O the other is to thin when cold go to my link on earlier posting page 2 it is on amazon

IF you do not have SAE30 in the gearbox a multi oil will have additives that cause the drive bands to slip, and it will not drive the car might this be the problem.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

If you go to
www.db18.org
and then to the Document Store page, scroll down the Repairs Documents list and you will find a "Fluid Flywheel and Epicyclic Gearbox Manual" which will help you with the adjustments.

While you are on the website, you may want to complete the short "Sign up" form. I will then be able to put you in touch with another member in India who also has a Consort.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

After great struggle First and reverse gears are operational. However I am unable to set second and third gears. Upon setting second gear the gear holds for a few minutes and slips off with a snap and bang. Tried many times to settle it and tried both with with the wheel on jack and on the ground. It refuses to hold on to second gear. I have tried over fifty times resetting and kicking till the automatic adjusted stops turning on kicking the selector peddle. It just holds for a few minutes and the gear start slipping. I am at my wits end as what can be done to settle it. The problem started with the oil in the fluid flywheel but landed here.
The car runs smoothly in first and reverse. Are there any suggestions for the amateur mechanic/ Daimler lover in Bangalore India.