Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Suspected Fluid flywheel trouble

Post by Norfolk Lad »

As the gearbox should have SAE30 is this the problem wrong oil in the gearbox, as i am sure this has been talked of before the wrong oil will cause the bands to slip because of the additives.
Just a thought as SAE30 is not available in India.

Peter

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Could be a FF problem if the inner bearing collapses and the output rotor touches the casing ................. but then I'd expect it to leak.

Whilst a 20/60 is a thin oil - you don't know whats been in there before, or what reaction may have occurred - hence a need to drain, flush and refill afresh.

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

As suggested by Neil will try jacking and testing the run. I doubted the Fluid flywheel because it took 600ml oil and the gear box was working OK when i went to the petrol pump to fill up negotiating several gradients. The performance was not great but negotiated the traffic and gradients of course at <25MPH. I expected a stellar performance after top up but it turned out to be a disaster. Will keep 5L 5W-30 oil and will follow the procedure as suggested. Wikipedia reference on Daimler fluid flywheel also suggests low viscosity oil to be used . Bangalore temperature in winter will be 15-28C . Ramanna

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

A long shot but . . . Is it a transmission problem at all? Ignition, carburation and compression issues could all cause poor jerky running. I would start with tappet clearance, ignition and carburation and see if things improve. Interestingly you say it was ok before filling up with fuel. Has it been laid up for some time? Was the tank run very low on fuel?
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

I occasionally had a similar problem with my Daimler Fifteen. This turned out to be a sticking needle in the SU carburettor. Put it in gear and it would not rev up or drive away. Recentralising the jet fixed it.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Dear Ramanna,
This could also be a long shot, but picking up on another suggestion re fuel, if the inline fuel filter in my Special Sports becomes blocked the car will lose power and play up, especially up an incline.
The other problem may be loose connections I the fuel line allowing air to get in and disturb the correct amount of fuel getting through.
Just a thought.
Kind regards
Peter Grant

B RAMANNA

Post by B RAMANNA »

SAE30 is not available. Nearest is 5W30/ 10 W 30 grade of various makes, which are available.
'Will work on the car in next couple week test and report back. Hoping to resolve the issue before 2018 .
Merry Xmas and a Happy New Year to all.
Ramanna

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Rammana,

I'm afraid niether a 5w/30 or a 10w/30 are suitable for your fluid flywheel.

Oil technology is somewhat complex, but a 5w or 10w are far too thin.

In over-simplistic terms, a 5w/30 means the viscosity is 5 (the "W" means winter), and the 30 means it has the lubrication characteristics of a 30 grade when hot - but that does not mean it goes as thick as a 30 grade.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

This is available on Amazon so could this be bought and supplied, considering the amount of engines shipped to India someone must sell SAE30 Classic oilL

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Ramanna, hi.

Check out the BHP Forum and create a post asking where you can get a straight 30 grade oil.
I think you are registered on the forum already, someone may be able to guide you to a supplier.

Cheers
Peter Grant